Chapter 34

Surprisingly, it didn't take long for Adam's car to pull up in front of me.

I say surprisingly because I was almost positive the band hated me.

"Oh my gosh, are you okay?" Fiona yells as she jumps out of the car, her arms wrapping around me tightly. She pulls away and studies my face. "Who did this?" she asks, her tone more serious than I had ever heard.

I inhale a deep breath before confessing. "Brad."

Fiona is visibly taken aback, stumbling back slightly. "No, not again," I hear her say. She grabs my arm and pulls me inside of the car with her. Adam pulls off the curb.

"What do you mean "not again,"?" I ask.

Fiona's face contorts and I notice Adam's hands clutch tighter around the steering wheel from my peripheral. "You deserve to know." She sighs. "Brad and I used to date, back in freshman year."

"And?" I inquire.

"And. He-" she chokes up.

"Asshole hit her," Adam says with barely restrained anger. Fiona winces with a nod.

"Remember his party at the start of the year? How I wanted you to stay away from him?" she asks.

I nod, I did remember. "I'm so sorry Fi, I can't believe I didn't realise. I knew he was a jerk but I didn't realise that-"

"People often aren't who we think they are," she sighs, looking at her phone's lock screen. "Worst part is that he's rich, we can't do anything about it."

I hated to admit it, but she was right. Brad came from a rich family, which is why my Mother wanted me to get involved with them in the first place, like some weird 1800's betrothal.

I look around the car, I'm squashed in-between Lucy and Fiona in the middle, while Thomas and Adam sit at the front. I can't help but feel a little crest-fallen at Luke's absence.

"Where's Luke?" I ask.

"He left as soon as the message came through. I'm sorry, I don't think he's coming," Fiona says, her voice unusually gentle.

"I don't know why you're still hung up on him, he cheated," Thomas states from the front.

I flinch as Fiona replies. "No, he was kissed, there's a difference."

"It doesn't matter, he didn't push her away," Thomas retorts.

"He did eventually," Fiona defends.

"He took too long, Maya can't trust him."

"Guys," I cut in. "I think it's my call."

We soon arrive at Adam's house, where we all quickly retreat downstairs. Fiona forces me to sit on the couch while they all organise everything for the night. Lucy throws pillows and blankets on the ground, Adam sets up Netflix, Fiona orders pizza and Thomas organises the snacks upstairs with Rose.

"You know I'm gonna beat Tate's ass, right?" Thomas comments casually as he sits beside me.

"Uh, no you're not," I reply.

"You didn't seem to have a problem when I punched Luke," he smirks.

"You punched Luke?" I asked before shaking my head. "Well this is me having a problem with it. Violence isn't the answer, Tom."

Thomas simple rolls his eyes and mutters a profanity. However, before I can reply, my attention's drawn elsewhere when there's a knock on the wall by the stairs.