Chapter 9

"I think we're done here," I groan as I stand up. It was the following Sunday and once again I had been practicing for hours and let's just say that my Mother enjoys using exercise as punishment. Another reason I despise ballet.

"We are done when we say I'm done-"She says sternly.

"No," I cut in. "We're done when I say we're done," I limp into my room and grab my things for a shower.

After my shower, I find myself sitting on the toilet seat with my head pressed against the wall in exhaustion. After a few minutes, I finally muster up the will to reach over and grab some cream of the counter for my ankle. To me, it doesn't seem like the stuff does much but I'm sure I'll notice a difference if I stop using it.

After rubbing the cool lotion over my throbbing ankle, I head into my room, my wet hair dripping against my grey sweater and down to my fluffy black leggings and boots. The past couple days, I've found myself rebelling a bit more. I haven't been wearing makeup or styling my hair to its usual standard and my clothes most definitely aren't up to par with the latest trends.

Then again, it's only been two days so come tomorrow, I'm sure I'll be forced into a frilly skirt and a top with shoulder pads or something ridiculous like that.

I flop onto my bed and position myself so my face is smudged in my pillow as I grab my phone. I raise my head off the pillow as I notice a text from Luke, a rare occurrence.

Hey, mind if we catch up at my house? I was thinking we could go through some songs for the band.

I feel a smile cross my face as I text back.

Sure, text the address and I'll be right over.

I scroll through social media while I wait for Luke to text me the address. Once I know where he lives, I stumble out of my room and into Thomas'. "Hey Tom..." I trail off. Thomas takes off his headset and looks from his computer to me.

"What's up?" He asks.

"I was wondering if I could borrow your car? Luke invited me over to his house for some band stuff," I smile sweetly.

His eyes widen slightly in what I assume is surprise. "He never invites anyone over," he mutters. "Yeah sure, just take care of her and call me if you need anything," he fishes through his pocket for his keys, throws them to me before promptly turning back to his game.

I quickly put Luke's address in my phone before heading down to Thomas' fancy dancy car. I follow my phone's GPS and as I drive, I notice the houses in the area get progressively less and less mansion like and more and more old and run down. Needless to say the car sticks out like a sore thumb.

I finally pull into an old broken down house, weeds litter the front yard and the fence is rusted and crumbling. I look at Luke's text to make sure I have the right address and sure enough, I do. I get out of the car and knock on the door that has chipped white paint.

A short raven haired girl answers. She appears to be in her early twenties and is carrying a toddler on her hip. She appears frazzled and stressed out which then stresses me out. However, I relax when I notice her kind hazel eyes. "Hey," I start. "Uh Luke invited me over."

Her eyes widen for a second in surprise before they light up and a smile graces her face. "Of course! Come in!" She gestures. I step inside and she closes the door behind me. "Luke!" She shouts up the stairs. "There's a pretty girl here for you!"

There's a loud bang followed by a few swears before a quick "be down in a minute!"

She turned to me. "This could take a while, I can guarantee he's last minute cleaning his room. Can I get you anything?" She places the small toddler down, who starts stumbling around the room.