promise

VVRROOOMM!!!
he sped around the corner in his race car, making black tire tracks on the cement.
my boyfriend, david, has been a drag racer since before we started dating. it was nerve racking watching him race, knowing that anything could go wrong.
i know he knows i don't like that he races, but he never confronted me about it.
i turned around to head towards the bathrooms, when i heard a crash. i turned around quickly and ran back to the fence. my heart started pounding and i started breathing heavily. i looked to the other side of the track, to see david's car flipped over, onto the roof. my eyes widened. i ran to the accident and ran towards the car, but one of the workers held me back. "ma'am i'm going to need you to stand back" the man said to me a little bit rudely. "but he's my boyfriend" i said to the man, tears running down my face. the man let me go and i ran to david laying on the stretcher, looking almost dead. i grabbed his hand and held it tight, not planning on letting go anytime soon. "david? can you hear me?" no answer. i started crying harder, if it was possible. crazy thoughts started rushing through my head.

will I lose him forever?

the paramedics let me ride in the ambulance with him on the way to the hospital. "liza?" i looked up from the ground. "ya it's me. i'm here bubba" i quietly said to him, squeezing his hand. he smiled at me slightly then shut his eyes. i smiled and then kissed the back of his hand. "please don't leave me" i whispered, still crying.

we arrived at the hospital and they immediatly took david into the surgery room, leaving me behind in the waiting room. i waited for what felt like days, but really it was only hours.
after waiting and waiting, i had fallen asleep. i woke up to a thirst, so i got up to get a cup of water. when i came back and drank my water, a nurse came into the waiting room. "anyone here for david dobrik?" i raised my hand and stood up. "that's me" i said quietly, but not quiet enough that the nurse couldn't hear me. "he's ready to see you now if you would like", the nurse said. i nodded and followed the tall, skinny nurse to a room. "may i ask your relation to david" the nerse asked. "i'm his girlfriend" i said quietly. the nurse nodded and led me to a room. i thanked her and opened the door slowly. i stepped into the room and shut the door behind me. the room was cold and stuffy and the walls were painted a baby blue colour. typical hospital room. i spotted a chair next to the hospital bed and walked over to it. i sat down and grabbed david's hand while tears started to fall down my face for the second time today. "david, i don't know if you can hear me but i love you. i know i don't tell you often enough but i really do love you. i love you more than anything in this world" i said in between tears and heavy breaths. "i love you too" i heard faintly. "david?" "ya?" a huge smile spread across my face. i embraced david in a big hug, trying not to hurt his broken bones and cuts. "don't ever scare me like that again" i said still hugging him. "i won't" he said putting his arm around me slowly. "promise?"

"i promise."