wedding crasher

i unlocked the front door, smiling because i got to pet a dog. the mail is sitting on the floor infront of the door. i bend down and pick it up. i sift through it. bills, junkmail, and a wedding invitation. i set down the rest of the mail on the kitchen counter, sliding my finger through the top of the envelope. i pull out the beautifully decorated card. i look at the names, my facial expression falling.

the wedding of:
david dobrik & kayla thomas
october 1st, 2019
4:00-9:00 pm
los angeles church
hope you can be there!

david and i broke up two years ago. i was going to ask him if he wanted to get back together a year ago, before he told me he has a girlfriend. that girl was kayla. she was kind of a bitch to me too. i still love him. i'm not denying it, but i never had the chance to tell him that. he clearly doesn't love me anymore. i was hoping one day we could at least be friends again. after he started dating kayla, we grew apart and didn't talk for months. the last time i talked to him was when i ran into him at target a few months ago. even then, we had nothing to say.
i sit on the couch, staring down at the white invitation. i bite my fingernails nervously. i pick up my phone and dial kristen's number. i bring the phone to my ear, letting it ring until i hear a voice on the other end. "hello?" i bounce my knee nervously. "hi kristen. it's liza." i start to bite my nails again. "oh, hi liza. what's up?" i took a deep breath before speaking again. "um i kind of need your help. can you come over?" i wait for an answer. "ya sure. i'll be over in ten. bye" i hung up after saying goodbye. i set the invitation down on the coffee table. i get up to get a glass of water. i drink it down quickly, slamming the glass on the counter. this is stressing me out.

~10 minutes later~

i sit on the couch, waiting for kristen to arrive. i stare straight ahead, my mind going everywhere. the doorbell rings. i rise from the couch and slowly walk to the door. i open it to reveal kristen, smiling and happy. as soon as she sees me, her smile disappears. "hi. what's wrong?" she pulls me in for a hug. we sit on the couch. i pick up the wedding invitation and hand it to her. she looks at it for a second, before pulling me in for another hug. "oh honey. what are you going to do?" my eyes start to water as we release. "i don't know. should i go?" i wipe my eyes. "do you want to go?" i shrug my shoulders, having no answer. "if you really want to go, then go. but not if it's going to hurt." i nod my head. "thank you kristen." i smile, knowing that i have a friend like her. "you're welcome liza."

~3 weeks later~

the wedding is in 1 hour. i sit on my bed, my mind going crazy. i play with my fingers. should i go? i sit still before getting up, grabbing my keys and heading out the door.

part two up soon!