Chapter LXXXII - A Different Drill

Hunter bounded across the bleachers with the same childlike energy that he brought to everything he did. Virgil’s fleet feet kept pace directly behind him. The ghouls stared blankly at them. A look of vague confusion crossed their haggard faces.

Hunter felt a pang of guilt as he reached out and shoved two of them hard in the chest. They flailed wildly about as their bodies went careening down the aisles. Hunter’s guilt subsided a bit when he saw them land against a large pile of soft dirt that had accumulated against a railing two levels below. The guttural, unintelligible cries of the falling ghouls drew the caustic gaze of the fiendish slave driver hovering over the room. Malacoda locked eyes with Hunter and snarled. Hunter immediately bolted for the passage. Virgil was nowhere to be seen.

“You... Rohjarrat!” Malocoda exclaimed in a surprised tone. “You should not have come here.” He snarled as he dove downward and toward Hunter.

“Obter elian chronan!” Malacoda shouted at the ghouls.

Their slack-jawed expressions grew focused and menacing. They dropped buckets and dirt and began chasing Hunter. Hunter deftly disappeared into the passage.

Malacoda picked up speed as he dove. He barreled through the passage to find himself surrounded. Inside the alcove, a semi-circle of tall, robed monks holding staffs capped with the caduceus stared at him.

“I have no time for your parlor tricks, magician.” Malacoda muttered loudly.

He threw his head back, puffed out his chest, and shook violently. In a moment, his head snapped forward and his jutting lower jaw came unhinged as it dropped unnaturally low. With a roar, an infernal vortex of flames cascaded out of Malacoda’s monstrous throat and engulfed the doppelgangers of Virgil. Malacoda whipped his head from side to side and sprayed the room with flames. The doppelgangers crumbled into fine dust.

“Acolo tukaj!” Virgil’s voice echoed down the long, dark hall.

The voice caught Malacoda’s attention and he turned to face the hallway. Malacoda coiled his grasshopper-like legs and sprung down the hallway. With his crimson body halfway in, a blinding flash of light erupted from Virgil’s staff. Malacoda was blinded momentarily. As the stars in his eyes faded, Malacoda saw Virgil pull back on his longbow. Malacoda turned as a Damascus-steel tipped arrow came hurdling down the hallway. It landed deep just below Malacoda’s right shoulder.

Malacoda let out a shriek that would have woken the dead.

• • •

Meanwhile, as soon as Malacoda had disappeared into the passageway, Hongo had lead the charge toward the guarded portico. He walked purposefully toward the guards. At first they noticed him, but did not react. As he got closer, however, they grew increasingly alarmed. Within twenty feet, they began to raise their weapons. Hongo quickdrew his pistol and fired four rounds, one in the chest and one in the head for each of them. He stepped nimbly over their slumped bodies and entered the guarded hallway.

“Ewww.” Tiyana muttered as she stepped over one of the slumped shells of former human beings. Before they entered the portico, Tiyana walked to the edge of the balcony and looked down into the pit.

“What do you think they are looking for?” She asked absentmindedly.

Hongo and Vito joined her at the precipice.

“I can see it.” Hongo said excitedly.

“See what?” Tiyana asked.

It, it is there, at the bottom, toward the right.” Hongo pointed as he spoke.