Chapter Sixteen

The next few days Cameron and Luna had been spending an increasing amount of time together, but they were both worried that Cameron was going to die without any kind of warning, so they didn't go far. One night, they both found themselves sitting on the top of the carpark where they first met, they both went up there at about five in the evening when the sun was beginning to set with a blanket and food. They set up the blanket and sat on it gazing up at the stars. As the night progressed the food that they had bought had been opened, they had popcorn, Doritos, chocolate, sandwiches, Lucozade's and water.

"It's so beautiful tonight." Luna said looking up at the stars as she nuzzled closer to Cameron as Cameron had his arm around her whilst lying down on the blanket.

"Thank you for taking me here again Luna, it has such a beautiful memory but such a sad story of what was going to happen here." Cameron said. Luna then looked to see Cameron sitting up. Luna also followed so she wouldn't be laying on his arm anymore. Luna watched as Cameron got up and looked over the edge of the carpark. Luna got up and went and stood next to him, placing her pale hands on the concrete wall in front of her.

"I can't believe I was ever going to do this." Cameron said. Luna felt a pang of happiness in her stomach, she was happy that he no longer had suicidal thoughts and was in a moderately happier place now. Luna looked over the edge, although she didn't have suicidal thoughts anymore, she wouldn't care if she did die seeing as two of her best friends have died and Cameron is dying, but she would not let Cameron know this because it would make him even more worried about what she would do when he dies.

"I'm glad you don't feel like that anymore." Luna said rubbing Cameron's back lightly. Cameron then wrapped an arm around Luna's waist. The two continued standing like that for a few minutes before it suddenly became quite windy out and the blanket they were previously sitting on started moving. Luna escaped from Cameron's grasp and grabbed the blanket that was making its way around the carpark.

"Got it!" Luna exclaimed, holding the blanket up to show Cameron." Luna watched as Cameron laughed and looked down, making Luna smile, he looked cute when he done that.

"Come on then, let's get packed up and go home because it's getting cold up here." Cameron said walking over to the picnic basket and picking it up. Luna walked over to Cameron and began walking down the carpark with him. At some point they began holding hands.

"For safety reasons." Cameron said, lifting their hands slightly, gesturing to Luna. Luna smiled.

"For safety." Luna reiterated, although, she hoped and wanted it to be more than just 'for safety reasons.' As they walked along the dual carriage way, the streetlights illuminated the path and the cars that drove past also light up the night sky, creating a special atmosphere in the sky.

"Well that was the strangest date I've ever been on." Cameron said before realising what he had said. Luna looked directly at Cameron, had she heard him correctly?

"Erm, yeah, same." Luna said not quite sure what she was meant to say. Cameron laughed slightly.

"I didn't mean like 'date'. I mean like just hanging out as friends." Cameron said trying to back track what he had just said, just in case Luna didn't feel the same and would end up hating him if she found out how he really felt.

"Yeah, that's what I thought you meant." Luna said, trying to keep the sound of disappointment out of her voice. They continued walking home, awkward silence now filled the silent streets as they walked home. They tried making conversation but suddenly the whole atmosphere was different and it felt like they had just met again. Cameron walked all the way back to Luna's house with her.

"You didn't have to walk back with me." Luna said as they reached her front door. Cameron shook his head.

"Don't be silly, I done it for your safety, you have a whole life ahead of you, don't do anything stupid that could get your time on earth reduced." Luna smiled, Cameron seemed to know what to always say to make her feel better.

"No go, go inside, it's cold." Luna looked confused.

"Cameron, I don't like the idea of you walking home by yourself, especially if you feel weak and tired, I don't want you collapsing in the middle of the street and dying." Luna said, desperation starting to appear in her tone of voice.

"Luna, I'll be fine, I managed to walk to and from the carpark, I'm pretty sure that I can walk half an hour from here to my house without collapsing." Cameron tried reassuring Luna.

"But you never know!" Luna said, she would do anything to walk him home, but she knew that he wouldn't allow it.

"Luna, I'll be fine." Cameron said placing his hands on her shoulders, which was when he noticed that she was shaking.

"Go inside, you're cold." Luna shook her head.

"Why don't you sleep on my sofa tonight, just in case, please?" Luna tried begging. Cameron looked confused but also grateful at the same time. Luna unlocked the door and luckily the blankets were already on the sofa so Cameron got under the blankets and sorted out the pillows whilst Luna went upstairs to get herself ready for bed. Once Luna was ready for bed she got in and laid staring up at the ceiling and thinking about what happened today. Questions and doubt swimming through her mind about Cameron.

Does he like me more than a friend? Do I like him more than a friend? What if he actually hates me because I am becoming too clingy?

Finally, Luna fellinto a dark slumber.