Different Views

It took a few days before Logan got a decent idea of where they could go to find work and a place to stay - and while he was looking, he was a little distracted with what he had to do ... enough so that he didn't realize right away that Scott wasn't feeling much like himself.

In fact, every day that passed, Scott was more and more quiet and still as he tried to get the building headache under control, furiously trying to push it down, begging the powers that be to just ... cut him this one small break. At least until Heather could manage to get him those glasses.

So it took Scott a moment to register that he wasn't alone as Logan finally realized that things weren't kosher with the kid. "Where does it hurt?" Logan asked, kicking himself from the doorway and walking toward him.

"It's not too bad," Scott tried to cover, desperate for it to be the truth.

"Let's get something straight," Logan said as he took the seat nearest him. "Don't lie to me. I know when you're lying and there's no sense in it. So come on. Where does it hurt?"

Scott locked his jaw and squeezed his eyes shut tighter. "Back of my head and my eyes," he said quietly. "But it'll go away."

Logan let out a sigh and reached out to put his thumb right between Scott's eyebrows and began to push that spot rather hard. "Don't lie, and don't move."

Scott tensed and tried not to panic. No one had done anything even remotely like that before and Logan didn't seem to think it was unusual at all. But it sure seemed odd. "What are you doing?" Scott asked, still tense.

"Pressure points to relieve the headache," Logan explained. "Different ones for different problems. This one is good for eye pain. But it takes some time."

Scott didn't look convinced in the least, but he didn't argue it, particularly when about a minute later, his eyes did start to feel less ... stressed. "How do you know that stuff?" Scott asked as Logan adjusted where his thumbs were for a second set of pressure points - this time at the back of Scott's neck.

"I don't know," Logan replied in a disinterested tone. "But it works, so what difference does it make?"

Scott had to agree with him, to a point, but seeing as just a few minutes had passed, and there was a marked difference in his pain level, he figured he could let it go. For now. "Thanks," Scott said with an almost confused smirk, ready now to help with the planning prep.

As it turned out, they found a little community that seemed to be a good fit for both of them. It was on the edge of the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest, which meant that there would be plenty of work for Logan to find in the woods and the school that was attached to the area offered plenty for Scott to do, though he was a little discouraged that all of the places he'd talked to within the first few weeks of settling in to their cabin simply didn't hire kids his age.

So Scott was irritated when he got in after yet another unsuccessful mission for work. "There's nothing I can do here to help," he said in a little display of his age, though he stopped when he saw Logan was lacing up his boots. "What's going on?"

"Just got a good chance to make some quick cash. So I'm gonna take it," Logan told him. "Should be back late - so don't think I took off on you."

"Is this normal for you?" Scott asked, still trying to figure out his ... well. He wasn't sure what to call him.

Logan paused and thought it over. "From time to time? Yeah. Sure. But it's not a big deal. It just takes up the better part of the night." He pulled a flannel shirt over his shoulders and took a few more steps toward the door. "Cash on the table if you want to hit the diner or ... order a pizza or whatever. Be back with a little more cash."