New Diggs

Logan was halfway through breakfast - and looking through the paper's classifieds section- when Scott got up the morning after blowing off Grace. As usual, Logan didn't draw any attention to the fact that the boy was a little adrift, instead chalking it up to teeny bopper drama, though he would play sounding board if that was what Scott needed, loathe as he was to do so.

He waited for Scott to sit down with his cereal and start to wake up before he brought up the subject of moving. "Heather's getting some serious heat," Logan said. "So we're gonna have to get a new place. We can stay around town, just gotta find a new spot."

Scott looked up at him for a moment, but waited to weigh it all out before he spoke. "Is it that serious?"

"Probably," Logan replied, his focus on the page in front of him. "Just gonna find a place on the other side of town. Maybe in the resort area." He smirked to himself. "That's a spot they'd never look."

"But not another town," Scott said, watching Logan from across the table.

"Not unless I know for sure that I'm not just being paranoid, though to be honest, it'd be better that way," Logan said in a conversational tone before he tipped his head toward the living room. "Heather's letter's over there. You can see what kind of pressure she an' Mac are under. He won't be able to hold out much more - and I wouldn't be surprised if he already let slip that Heather's writing to me."

Scott looked troubled for a moment as he played with his cereal and thought it over. Not only whatever might be in Heather's letter, but all that he'd stayed up late reading. If it was the same group he'd been reading about ...

"Can we go fishing today?" Scott asked, thinking to himself that at least on the ice they'd have a long, clear, wide open view of anyone that might attempt to approach them. "It's been a while."

Logan just nodded. "Sure. Be a good chance to check out a few places to go too."

Scott let out a sigh of relief and went back to his breakfast, already making plans on how many layers he thought he needed to sit out on the ice for a few hours. All things considered, a little time and peace and quiet was probably exactly what Scott needed.

They'd been out on the ice for almost an hour before Scott decided he had to ask. "If the people after you are Canadian authorities, what can they actually do on American soil?"

Logan didn't say anything for a moment, mostly because technically - they shouldn't be able to do anything to him but that just wasn't his reality. "If they come looking, they'll do whatever they think is necessary to bring me in."

Scott watched him and processed his answer. "But the Americans won't stop them? That seems a little ... why wouldn't they stop them?"

"They have a stake in it too," Logan replied. "And ...they put a lot of money into me. They want their investment back."

"You mean the training, and stuff?" Scott said, just really trying to verify.

"No. I mean the metal," Logan replied. "Stuff's worth a fortune. Can't find it anywhere and there's only a few people in the world that know how to work with it."

"That should make it easier to find out more, right?"

But Logan just shook his head. "Not when they're being protected by one government or another, and the only people who know how to make the stuff is the US." He let out a little sound of irritation. "No reason to think about it too hard. I can't do anything about it. For all my sneak, it's still impossible to get through a damn metal detector." It was a half hearted attempt at a joke, but it had Scott wondering.