Vincent and the Time Lords - Two

"That's him." Vincent nodded holding the small photo of the creature the device identified from before. "And the eyes, without mercy."

"This is a creature called the Krafayis." The Doctor explained walking over to sit down beside the Stone the two of them opposite to Vincent while Amy stood listening. "They travel in space. They travel as a pack, scavenging across the universe."

"And sometimes one of them gets left behind." The Stone sadly added feeling quite sorry for the creature even when it did try to kill her and the Doctor only a couple of hours prior. The Doctor took her hand knowing exactly what she was thinking about while giving it a gentle squeeze to reassure her. Even when they had been together for such a long time now they sometimes still forgot that they were not alone, they had each other.

"And because they are a brutal race, the others never come back." The Doctor cut in. "So, dotted all around the universe are individual, utterly merciless, utterly abandoned Krafayis. And what they do is, well, kill, until they're killed. Which they usually aren't. Because other creatures can't see them."

"But I can." Vincent frowned.

"Yes. And that's why we are in a unique position today, my friend, to end this reign of terror." The Doctor smiled. "So, feeling like painting the church today?"

"What about the monster?"

"Trust us, Vincent." The Stone shook her head at him. "If you paint it, he will come."

"Okay." He nodded. "I'll get my things."

"In your own time." The Doctor waved him off as the man jumped up heading for the door. "And I promise you, we'll be out of your hair by this time tomorrow."

"This is risky." The Doctor muttered to Amy grasping the Stones hand in his own comfort.

"Riskier than normal?" Amy questioned.

"Well, if you think about it..." the Stone muttered tilting her head slightly. "This is the middle of Vincent Van Gogh's greatest year of painting and if we're not careful, the net result of our lovely little trip will be the brutal murder of the greatest artist who ever lived." She winced a little at the thought.

The Doctor nodded in agreement holding her hand as tight as he could without physically hurting her. "Half the pictures on the wall of the Museé D'Orsay will disappear. And it will be our fault."

---------------------------------------------------------

After waiting for quite a while the Time Lords began to worry about Vincent who had not returned after a good half an hour. The Doctor had agreed with the Time Lady that he would go and see if the ginger painter was okay while the Stone stayed with Amy.

"What's happening?" Amy questioned walking out into the courtyard following the Stone.

"We're leaving." He muttered tightly holding the Stone's hand. A sinking feeling in her stomach at the way he looked, this was not good. "Everyone knows he's a delicate man. Just months from now he'll..." he swallowed. "He'll take his own life."

"Don't say that. Please." Amy begged following them into Vincent's house seeing the Time Lords looking at the picture of prisoners exercising, the Stone resting her head on the Doctors shoulder.

"Come on." The Stone rose her head tugging on his hand. "We have to do this on our own. We'll go to the church at the right time and hope the monster still turns up."

The Doctor nodding kissing her forehead before he and the Time Lady frowned seeing the shadow of a hat.

"I'm ready." Vincent cut in making the Time Lords look around seeing the man carrying an easel and some paints. He grabbed a paintbrush and nodded at them. "Let's go."