Chapter 1: Meet Tania Ayame

The shrill cry of the alarm pierced through the silence, jolting me out of my calm sleep. I rubbed my eyes gently, getting use to the sunlight streaming through the window. Lazily, I pulled myself out of bed towards the bathroom to freshen up.

"Tania, you need to come downstairs right now!" I hear my older brother, Shininchi, yell.

"Okay brother!" I reply, skipping the idea to freshen up. I yawned and descended down the stairs to see what he wanted.

"Take a seat." My brother demands, pointing at a wooden chair. His dark brown eyes, the ones we shared, were completely devoid of emotion. I did as he told me and took a seat.

"What's this?" He asks, holding out a piece of paper with the letter F written on it.

"My math test.." I mumble, sliding down my seat knowing what to expect next. Shininchi slammed his hand down on the kitchen table completely changing his voice into a much frightening tone.

"How could you fail this test? Did you not study? How many times did I tell you to always pay attention in class and do the best you can possibly do?"

"Hundreds." I answer. "But brother, I assure you that I will do my best next time. Cross my heart."

He smiled warmly and nodded. "You may go now. But first, you must get ready for school it starts in a hour and a half."

Silently, I nodded and ran upstairs to go take a shower. Once I was in the bathroom, I closed the door behind me, turned on the warm water and began to unclothe myself. I threw my pajamas onto the rack and stepped into the steamed water awaiting me. My hair became soaked as I let the liquid rinse the dirt off my body.

Grabbing my shampoo, I squirted the last ounce of it onto my palm and gently scrubbed my dark brown hair with it. The shampoo smelled just like strawberries and it helped my hair stay very healthy and long.

Once done washing up, I stepped out of the shower feeling slightly better than before. I reached for my towel and wrapped it around my thin body. After that, I opened the bathroom door then scooped up my dirty clothes from the tiles, proceeding to carry them into my bedroom that was across the hall afterwards.

I stepped into my room and threw my clothes in the hamper by the door. Going through my closet was tough since I had a whole lot of clothes in there. Finally, after searching for an outfit for quite some time, I managed to find some black sweatpants along with a white t-shirt and slid them on. I walked over to the pink vanity set and grabbed my brush. After brushing my hair to get rid of any knots that might've formed, I took a look in my mirror that hung in the center of the room. In my opinion, I didn't look bad. Having high cheek bones, a small nose, and full lips really brought my confidence up a little.

There was a knock on the door while I was tying my long, straight black hair into a high ponytail with my bangs falling down on the side of my face.

"Come in!"

"Deedee!" My little sister, Melanie, cries out as she ran up to me, holding me in a hug. I grinned and picked up the four-year-old up from the floor. Melanie is my younger sister and one of the few people who understands me. She usually calls me by my nickname but I don't mind it. Unlike my brothers and I, Melanie is a very cheerful child even though she often tends to get easily upset.

"Hey kid. What's up?" I ask. I laughed as she rubbed her soft cheek against mine.

"Sinako." She answers, finally getting serious after our moment.

"What about Sinako? Is there something wrong?"

Melanie nodded her small head then took my hand, guiding me towards our other brother's room. I heard as a soft moan escaped someone's lips. Slightly opening the door, I watched as Sinako held a picture of mom and dad. Tears were running down his face before landing on the photo.

"Sinako? Are you alright in here?" I let myself in his room.

He looked down at the carpet. Melanie and I sat on opposite sides of him as we stared at the picture of our parents. Tears escaped from my eyes as I stared at the lovely picture of my deceased parents, the day of their deaths coming back into my thoughts.

They both died thanks to a car crash on a stormy night. I was sleeping when it had happened. The neighbors and police had rushed into my room, explaining the devastating news to me. Mom and dad was rushed into the hospital and shortly died a few weeks later. My brothers and I were devastated, but that was when I was about eleven. Now i'm fourteen.

Unfortunately for Melanie, she was too young to even remember what her parents looked like and how they were. She would often ask me about them.

We stayed thinking about our deceased parents for a few more moments before Shininchi opened the door.

"Time for breakfest." He says with a smile, unaware of the tears that was being shed.

I wiped away my tears and encouraged my seventeen-year-old brother to do the same so we can move on with our lives. He agreed and happily stood up, embracing me in a hug afterwards. I did the same and released him after smelling some pancakes waiting to be eaten.

"Hey Tania! I'll race ya!" Challenged Sinako.

"Fine. First one there gets the biggest pancake." I wager. "Okay. Ready... Get set... GO!"

But before we could even take a step forward, Shininchi tugged on both me and my brother's arms.

"Not so fast. I already setted up everything on the table. You'll get which ever pancake I give to you, alright?"

"Okay.." Sinako and I sigh.

With that, we all headed down the kitchen and took a seat where Shininchi pointed at. Unfortunately for Sinako and I, we ended up getting the smallest pancakes while him and Melanie got the largest.

"How unfair." I whine.

"Life's unfair." Shininchi immediately follows up.

~~~~~

Thirty minutes had gone by and before we knew it, my bus arrived and it was time for me and Sinako to head out the door. I grabbed my blue bag and dragged my feet to the door. I didn't really want to go to school.

Ugh... Another day back there.

"Bye Deedee! Bye Sinako!" Melanie and Shininch say in unison.

"Bye!" Shininchi says back waving.

"See you guys later." I let out a small breath of air.

Off to Misami junior high school now...