Chapter 4: A Night with Papa

They arrived at Papa's chamber door. Sister Lisa knocked three times. Papa opened the door in his nightgown and greeted Mary. 'Good evening, Mary.' 'Good evening, Papa.' She greeted him back. Papa looked at Sister Lisa and thanked her, 'Thank you for looking after Mary, sister. I'll take care of her, now. Return to your dormitory.' Sister Lisa passed Mary to Papa's arms, curtsied and walked along the hallway to the stairs.

Papa guided Mary to the sofa and let her lay back. He walked to the door and close it, quietly. 'Well, that's not a good thing to start on your first day, no?' He asked Mary. She shook her head. He walked to the bar tray and pour the green liquid from the clear glass bottle to the whiskey glasses. 'I was wondering, what happened before you were adopted?' He asked Mary. She hesitates to answer but she did. 'It's my super strict Catholic parents.' She took deep breaths while she tried to answer his question. 'They were so strict that, if anything that they don't like or disobey them, t-they beat me up.' She sobbed. Papa walked to her with whiskey glasses of green liquid in each hand. He sat down beside her, put the glasses on the glass table and hugged her. She cried louder and Papa rocked her in comfort.

She slowly calms down and looked around Papa's chamber. She saw a lot of books. She also saw the fireplace, Papa's four poster bed, cabinets and a huge, elegant mirror. 'Nice room you got, Papa.' Mary made a compliment. 'Thank you, Ghuleh. It is a mix of old and new.' Papa delivered his taste of interior design. 

She nods and she spotted a book of Shakespeare's play. She slowly stood up and she fell down on the sofa. He looked surprised and asked Mary. 'Are you okay? Do you need anything?' 'Ah.' She growled in pain of her legs. 'I just saw a book of Shakespeare's Hamlet. I want to read it.' 'I'll get it for you, Ghuleh.' He said, quietly. He stood up, walked to the bookshelf and pulled out Hamlet. He returns to Mary, give it to her and sat down beside Mary. She opens the book and began to read. 'I didn't know that you like reading.' He pointed out. 'Yeah. I love reading. I like classic fiction and fantasy books. Shakespeare is an example that I really can understand he's language from his time.' She informed Papa. As she continues reading, Papa asked her a question. 'What's your favourite character from Hamlet?' 'Oh, that's easy. Ophelia.' She answered and she explained the story.

'She took an interest in Hamlet, but her father and brother warned her about him. As Hamlet went crazy in front of Ophelia, she told her father about Hamlet, madly in love with her. Then, her father told Claudius about it and he agreed to hide when Hamlet arrives. One day, Hamlet visited her and asked her where her father is. She lied to him, he realised that he's been spied on and broke up with her.' Papa nodded his head for Mary's impressive memory. She continues. 'She felt heart broken. Then, after the Mousetrap Play, Hamlet kills her father and she became mad. She sang songs and hand out flowers with symbolic meanings. She handed out the Rue flowers, meaning 'Regret'. Then one day, she fell from the Willow Tree and drowned in the lake. A sexton insisted that she killed herself. And, that's it.' 

Papa applauded. 'Bravo, Mary. Magnificent.' She exhaled, sharply and smiled. 'Thanks. That's why I love that character. Dark and mysterious.' Papa picked up whiskey glasses of green liquid and handed it to her. 'Skål.' Papa smiled in Swedish. They clink the glasses and Papa down in the drink. Mary hesitated and gulp it down.

It's pretty strong the spirit. She screwed her face and he patted her back. She coughs and tries to breathe. 'Nice and easy, Ghuleh. Nice and easy.' Papa calming her breathing. 'What is that drink?' She asked. Papa answered, 'It's absinthe.' She looked shocked and shouted, 'WHAT THE FUCK!?' He giggled. 'You won't go too crazy.' Then, Papa asked a question. 'Do you mind call you Ophelia, instead of Mary?' 'No.' She quickly replied. He clapped his hands and said, 'I, Papa Emeritus III, change your name from Mary to Ophelia.' She gasped, hugged Papa and he hugged her back.