welp

New year's eve, 8:20 pm

Mina's POV

I peek into the kitchen.

„Hani!" I start laughing, at her mid-air pose. "You know, it is not even your official new year's celebration, stop making such a big deal out of it!"
I silently giggle to myself and continue watching her putting up fairy lights over the thoughtfully decorated kitchen table. She just starts humming a melody and pretends she didn't hear me. Pff.

There were three plates for everyone, each in a different colour, for soup, main course and the dessert that Hyeon is preparing at the moment. She even took the time to carefully paint the vases of the flowers she placed in the middle of the table. There is also confetti, glitter and dotted napkins. In a nutshell, it looks more like a kid's birthday party than a fancy restaurant – and I love it. It's just so her.

Hani: "AIsh, where is Joo?" I notice her glancing on her watch, rolling her eyes after. "Now we're almost done preparing."

Hyeon: "Well, I think you are the only one that invites people over and let them help preparing." He lets out a little chuckle before continuing in a lower voice, "I hope he brings beer."

I silently listen to them complaining while cleaning up the table in the living room where I cut the ingredients Hyeon needed.

I wonder what Hoseok is doing at the moment. He told me they will have a concert tonight to celebrate into the new year. Nothing too special, but something he has to attend to.

We also spent Christmas apart from each other, because he had Bangtan-Stuff to do... I still am not one hundred percent sure (and still a bit Hobi-greedy), but now that I got myself to talk about my brother with him, I definitely feel better about the whole situation. However, even though we text every day, we did not see each other since I got released from hospital.

But it's okay. I have Hani and Hyeon. I have Joo. And Hobi is there for me as well.

I smile to myself. There is nothing I have to worry about.

Hani draws my attention to the front door: "Look who finally made it here!" Her voice reminded me of ice cream. Sweet, but cold. "You're late, Pabo!" She says grumpily, but hugs him right after, giving Joo a warm welcome.

Hyeon gave him a bro-like fist bump with a quick 'hey'. It's my first time seeing them together... And even though Hyeon is older, Joo is taller than him. Hehe.

"What are you giggling at, little runaway?" Joo pats my head. I grab his hand with both of mine before he could pull it back.

"Is that the right way to greet a woman?!" I give him a piercing look before flashing a smile. "I'm happy to see you, Joo."

In the corner of my eye I notice Joo wordlessly passing Hyeon the beer he brought. What a bromance.

Not long after, we started eating and chatting into (my) new year. Korean people don't celebrate their new year on the first of January, but Hani decided to have something prepared for me and the customs I know from my hometown. I mean, the people here don't live behind the moon.

And, of course, we get to eat delicious food. Soup, chicken, rice, a freaking awesome salad, and egg tarts for dessert. Hyeon is an awesome chef, but he never tells me his recipes or secrets for cooking, "because then you can cook it yourself and won't need me for it!
Well, at least he has a point.

Joo: "Ah, Noona, if Mina is bothering you, she can also stay at my house! I'd love to have her around." I shyly blush a little. Joo, are you drunk? "She can sleep in my bed. I can take the couch." Wait wat.

Hani: "Nope, only I can handle her cuteness, you would be burned out after a day. I will keep her here with me, ne, Mina? FOREVER!" She heavily pats my shoulder. Her cheeks are a bit red. Hani, you too?
I glance at the time. 1:23 am. Well, that's legit. We've been playing cardboard games since ten.

"Yup! Until I found a new apartment!" I smile brightly, heavily nodding at her. She obviously was not satisfied with my comment.

Hyeon: "Not a chance, Joo. Mina will stay until she wants to leave!" He approvingly holds up two thumbs. "Plus, she likes my cooking."

Joo: "You only like it to tell your friends you're living with two pretty girls, yah!"

Hyeon: "Well, who does not like doing that!"

"Guys.." I chuckle. But even though their conversation flatters me, I grew a bit uncomfortable. I barely drank anything and they are being so overwhelmingly loving. I let out a small laughter before pushing myself away from the table. "Would you excuse me for a moment?"

Saving myself from their conversation, I bow and quickly rush in the bathroom right after. Even though I closed the door, I can basically hear Hani rolling her eyes at them arguing about gym memberships now.

I take a moment to pull out my phone and read some of the messages the boys sent me.

01:09 ITSTAETIME

Happy New Year Things, Mina! I am so glad we got to know you.
Please never leave us! <3 We miss uuuuu TT But I miss you the most. <3<3<3

01:11 ChocoKookie

No, I miss you the most!

Happy new year to you, too, guys.

Jimin also took some backstage selfies with sleeping Suga and Jin and Namjoon eating sandwiches. Hoseok texted before, but was on none of these pictures. Where is he? Maybe he was just not in the same room or already went to sleep.

They are all so caring and kind...and already like a family to me. Well...one that I don't get to see often, but one I cherish with all my heart.

I happily press my phone to my chest and sigh deeply before it starts vibrating.

Huh?

"Hello?"

"Hey Mina! How are you? I hope you had a nice evening! Hoseok told me you're with Hani and the others!" a deep voice starts talking. Namjoon?

I'm a bit surprised he was the one calling me out of the blue, but I'm also happy I get to hear his voice since he was not able to visit me at the hospital. It's been some time.

Me: "Haha, hey there Dancemonster, great timing. Uh- I'm a bit tired, but fine, thank you. I hope you had a good time at the concert! But it would have been more fun with you guys here as well." I silently chuckle into the microphone. "Jin and Hyeon would make a great kitchen-couple!"

RM: "I see, you did not lose your sense of humour after spending two weeks without us." He lets out an exhausted laugh. "Listen, I know it is late and a bit sudden, but are you free tomorrow?"

Me: "Uh huh? Yeah, I am. Why?"

RM: "Okay, great. Hoseok should pick you up at around 11am." Ignoring my question, he only provides me a reason to get nervous.

Hoseok will pick me...up?

Me: "Uh...okay? But why?"

RM: "You will see then. Hobi told me you already know the surprise game. Bye Mina! Everyone sends Love!"
I filter out some minor roars in the back.

Me: "But wait!"

beep – beep – beep.

Welp.

What the heck.

Happy new year to me, I guess?