Chapter 1: Resumption

Autumn was unexpectedly warm this year. By the beginning of September, the foliage was still green and to the greatest pleasure of all students of Hogwarts the sun comfortably wrapped them in hot rays.

Marauders, freely located under the crown of a tree, squinted their eyes and looked dreamily at busy first-years. With frightening enthusiasm they waved their wands at someone's cat, which in response meowed in displeasure, alternating color from blue to red, and desperately tried to escape. As a result, poor creature managed to wriggle out. Having jumped with savage squeal, the animal clawed someone's inadvertently placed hand and flew away. First-years scattered around, spells flew in all directions and, in a minute, a team of red-faced and blue-faced students excitedly shouted at each other, trying to find out who was to blame and what to do.

"Boring," James drawled lazily, ruffling his unruly hair even more. "Where's Pete, by the way?"

Sirius Black reluctantly opened one eye, looked around and closed it back.

"He seemed to be going to common room, he said that he left something there," Remus said, coping with the yawn. "It's not him?"

He got up on his elbows, peering in the direction of school gate. A thin, inconspicuous at first sight boy was running toward them at full speed. Having finally reached Marauders, he bent, trying to catch his breath.

"You've completely weakened over the summer, Peter," Black said more lazily than mockingly. "It's time to get serious about your health."

"There... there..."

"What's wrong, Pete?"

"He's there! AB is back!"

Marauders stared at Pettigrew for a couple of seconds, then jumped to their feet and rushed to the castle gate.

✨✨✨

Friends burst into the Great Hall and stopped stunned. Students crowded near opposite wall, whispering and looking open-mouthed at large abbreviation imprinted on a wall at fifteen feet height. The inscription, two mysterious letters AB glowed blue and green, faintly phosphorescing in the dimly lit hall. Lines of smaller size could be seen below it: an elegant blue-green script.

Sirius woke from a stupor first. He crossed the distance to the crowd with rapid steps and unceremoniously began to push closer to the inscription. James, Remus and Peter hurried after him. Finally, having gotten through the crowd, the four could see the lines:

"Dear Marauders!

I am glad to welcome you again to our school! You know, when I decided to abandon my clownish craft last year, I thought that I was leaving the school in good hands and you won't let us get bored. However, your jokes, unfortunately, are becoming more and more banal. They begin to turn pale. You're losing your grasp, my failed competitors! Therefore, I am happy to announce that I'm returning with new energy, new ideas and, of course, pranks.

Yield the way, Marauders, or my jokes will be turned against you, and you don't want it, my boring friends, do you?

Always your competitor, AB."

There was silence. Everyone looked at the Marauders, the Marauders looked at the wall, the wall silently tolerated but remained standing. Remus seemed to be the only one who remained almost undisturbed.

"Pale? Pale?!" Sirius turned to James with eyes full of rage. "What does this AB allow himself? How dare he?! James! We must teach him a lesson!" Sirius fumed. "This is our last year at school, we can't allow some AB to take our rightful place!"

There was a sarcastic laugh nearby, loud enough to be heard. Black turned in fury - thin, dark-haired girl in Ravenclaw robes looked at him with a sneer.