Chapter 15: The Dark Times

quick reminder: this is au so some things were changed, because I can

Potters' house, the first week of Christmas holidays

"I'm sincerely glad to see you, Headmaster," James hesitated, "but you sure you didn't open the wrong door?"

To see Albus Dumbledore in his own house in the middle of winter holidays was not good at all, and with guests like that in addition. The joy that stirred in James at the sight of Lily was immediately replaced by a deafening annoyance when he finally noticed Severus shifting from foot to foot behind Dumbledore's shoulder.

"No, Mr. Potter, we are definitely here for you."

Not waiting for permission, headmaster quietly stepped inside. Lily smiled uncertainly at James, but her eyes were, for some reason, utterly compassionate. Even Snape looked quiet and didn't try to gloat.

"Is Mr. Black at home?"

Sirius was really spending holidays with his best friend, licking wounds after the fight with his brother, which took place just before the departure.

"Out," James said shortly. "But he'll be back soon."

Strange foreboding pricked Potter from the inside, but he couldn't understand the cause of his anxiety.

"Is something wrong, Professor?" he asked cautiously. Lily suddenly sobbed and sank to a small sofa.

Potters' living room has always been a cozy and welcoming place. James's mother didn't like all those newfangled styles, preferring pastel colors, hand-embroidered tablecloths and old furniture. But tonight, everything was different. Tonight, the house became cold as if something was irretrievably lost.

"Lily?" everything inside of James grew cold.

"Where are your parents, James?" headmaster asked softly.

"In... in France. They were going to France. It was their Christmas gift to each other and... They told me that I could live peacefully with Padfoot so that they wouldn't embarrass us."

James ranted, not knowing why he couldn't stop. With his sixth sense, he realized that he would hear and tried to delay this moment with all his might.

"James," Lily stood up, hugged Potter impulsively and buried her nose in his shoulder.

"What happened?" he shouted suddenly, breaking out of Lily's embrace. "What happened to them?!"

"An accident."

"What?" James shivered, trying to either accept or push away the news. He stood swaying from side to side. "I don't believe it. They are wizards, they-"

"That's why I'm here, Mr. Potter," Dumbledore continued in the same quiet voice. "We also doubted that it was an accident. Especially in view of the latest news."

"What news?" James asked blankly. The only thing he wanted at the moment was for headmaster with his feigned sympathy, Lily filled with pity and annoying Severus to get the hell out of his house.

"Sirius, probably, told you about his discovery on the day of his departure for the holidays?" James nodded automatically, stupidly looking at the wall in front of him. "Lily and Severus came to me with similar news, we discussed it and took actions."

"What actions, Professor?" Snape asked cautiously, not sure what he should say. But James stared silently at one spot, ignoring Lily who was stroking his hand.

"Protective measures, Severus," headmaster sighed heavily. "You, probably, know about the movement for the rights of purebloods? This is debated in Slytherin," Dumbledore smiled sadly.