Chapter 10: Halloween

Halloween was, without a doubt, one of the favorite holidays celebrated at Hogwarts. What kind of student won't be pleased if they can walk all night, have fun, and no teacher would be able to say a word against it. However, only the most persistent ones stayed up until morning, mostly senior students; all the rest went to their dorms before 3 am.

Marauders had grandiose plans for this Halloween. Not ordinary party with luminous pumpkins, howling ghosts and clasping armor, but true All Saints Day.

"You're going to spend Halloween... where?!" Remus stared at his grinning friends. 

Peter whispered something and when Remus looked at him, he shrugged and made a cuckoo sign.

"You're crazy!" Lupin was furious. "Think about students, it can be dangerous!"

"Moony has returned!" James Potter announced loudly, and together with Sirius they both laughed.

"You won't believe it, but we missed your tediousness, Remus," Sirius patted him on the shoulder, ignoring his outraged gaze. "First, you're running under the moon, then after Parker, then away from her, then – "

"It's not about that! Your idea – "

"As for the think tank for our company - it's certainly you. But you have to contribute a little of rationalism to our wonderful ideas, not to drown them in an ocean of tediousness."

"Sirius is right, Moony. Nothing will happen, we'll be careful. So, be good enough to help; you have to thank us for all that we've done for you."

"Which is what, exactly?"

"We organized your love life!"

Peter burst out laughing.

"What's up, Wormtail?"

"You can't organize your own for many years. Remus and I beat you!"

"Let's get married, James? In despair," Sirius sighed sorrowfully. Potter looked skeptically at his friend and wrinkled his nose.

"Jokers," Remus sighed. "What's the plan?"

✨✨✨

At midnight, music rattled in the Great Hall. Dumbledore invited a musical band consisting of three wizards and two witches and now "The Mad Furies", as if to justify their name, brought the audience to the very madness. Students applauded, singing and dancing as if for the last time in their lives.

"I hope they all got our invitations," James yelled into Sirius's ear.

"I'm sure," he shouted back. "Our celebration will begin in two hours, don't worry."

"I just don't want them to get fall-down drunk."

"What do you mean? There is nothing but butterbeer here."

On the other side of the hall Remus waved furiously, beckoning them.

"What?" James breathed, following his friend to the balcony.

"I persuaded them, but it was incredibly difficult."

"Really?! You did it?" Sirius was glowing.

"Yes, I did. They said they didn't even recognize me in my human form."

"It's good, right?"

"Yeah, but when they realized that I was the very same werewolf, they accused me that I had trampled all their garden beds once. I had to help with the planting."

Sirius looked at Lupin in surprise, then laughed. "That is why you're so dirty, decided to give it all up to become a gardener?" 

"But you were there about six years ago when the Shrieking Shack wasn't built yet; do they still remember?"