Chapter 32: Hard Cases

Hospital Wing, morning after the full moon

For Remus, the most favorite after the full moon was to wake up. Just wake up.

Despite the pain in broken bones, numerous cuts, blood losses and broken faces of friends who unsuccessfully stepped in the way, for Lupin the morning was the best event after the full moon. Even if Remus managed to do things during his madness, waking up in the morning, he knew that he has a chance to fix it. This morning was no exception.

The sun rays insidiously made their way behind the curtain and poked Remus straight in the eye. Lupin tried to turn his head, but the light continued to pull him out of the bonds of sleep. Remus took a deep breath and was surprised to find his ribs relatively wholesome.

The events of the last night surfaced in Lupin's head like boiled ravioli, reluctantly and sluggishly. Here Emily stands right next to him, then she leaves, then he feels how he starts to shift, the door opens, the light of the torch flashes, someone's frightened face and... and nothing more.

Remus didn't remember anything. He didn't know whether to enjoy it or not, but at times he liked being in sweet ignorance for as long as possible.

He sighed again, tried to move and grunted disapprovingly. Once again, Madam Pomfrey bandaged him so that Lupin looked like a mummy. Judging by the binding strength, matron sincerely believed that Lupin would fall apart if she won't tie his body parts to each other.

His slow, yet sleepy reflections were interrupted by a disgruntled and painfully familiar voice.

"Remus John Lupin. Tell me, please, why and for what specific purpose did you carnivorously and completely unrestrainedly bite Lucius Abraxas Malfoy?"

Only Parker knew how to speak like that, dispassionately and mercilessly shaking out your soul with one glance only, just with intonation and a stern expression. He even knew she was standing with her arms crossed over her chest and her hawking gaze fixed on him. Future professor McGonagall, indeed.

"Remus, don't pretend. I know you're awake."

Remus smirked. It was so joyful to hear her voice right after the heavy full moon, that the meaning of the phrase didn't reach Remus immediately. Carnivorously and completely unrestrainedly bite... Lucius?!

"What?!" Remus roared and sat abruptly on the bed. His body, in spite of his fears, didn't protest as if there were no basement, chains and transformation. Wait... Chains, he tore them from the wall with the bindings? Then the door opened, and the frightened face that he remembered was Emily's face.

"Are you okay?!" Lupin stared at Parker with an insane glance.

"Of course not. You're talking to a ghost," she snorted skeptically and sat beside Lupin on the bed. He clung to her warm hand and was relieved to realize that she was still alive. "Do you remember anything?" Emily inquired much more peacefully.

"No, nothing. Did I bite Malfoy?"

"It's not something to be proud of," Parker shook her head, watching the inner struggle reflect on Remus's face: pride in half with an uncertain guilt.

"It's weird to hear this from you."

"How do you feel?"

"Suspiciously great. Did Madam Pomfrey find a new medicine?"

"Not her – you did. Having tried on a full moon someone else's blood, that is human, the werewolf regains his strength."

Lupin closed his eyes and leaned back against the pillows with a groan. That's just what he needed! Now what – he will be the father for Malfoy?! That's awful!