Chapter 9: Revelation

Remus gloomily looked out the window. It was raining mercilessly and drops flowed down transparent surface of the glass in whimsical patterns. Autumn finally came and the sun didn't show up for two weeks.

With a weary sigh the guy closed his eyes. He was sick and tired of the Shrieking Shack, but now it was akin to Merlin's blessing. After weird Sunday, the Marauder came down with an ailment caused by impending full moon. That's why inevitable conversation with Emily Parker was postponed for an indefinite period.

Lupin smiled unhappily, imagining how that restless girl had been looking for him all this week in the darkest corners of Hogwarts. Emily didn't like to be ignored and the degree of her discontent was probably unimaginable.

However, Remus had been enjoying thinking about what he did on Sunday night at the party, as well as about what Emily and Beata were up to. It was obvious that they were up to something. Remus's head already had thousands of most incredible options for further development of events, but he was sure that he wouldn't guess what was really going on.

Friends regularly visited Lupin, bringing him food, pain-relieving potions and persistently asked him to go to the Hospital Wing and not to sit in a half-ruined shack with a leaking roof. But Remus stubbornly stood his ground and all week, including the full moon, he stayed there. 

James and Peter only looked at each other in bewilderment. Sirius, who at first didn't understand what was happening, was smirking so much when he appeared that Remus rolled his eyes and turned to the wall. The old, sagging bed, which he was lyingon, only creaked in displeasure, making the mood drop even more.

"While you were sleeping," exaggeratedly cheerful and suspiciously joyful Sirius made his way to the second floor of the shack with a huge heavy package. Judging by smell, there was a fried chicken, "twelve years have passed."

"What?" Remus looked at his friend in surprise, rising on the bed.

"Beata says so," Black shrugged. "It's from some muggle movie, sort of."

"Yah? And how often you and her are... talking?" Remus grinned.

"We have to," Sirius responded evasively and then again smiled widely, "But that's not the point! It's about the fact that Emily Parker is tunneling her way in."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, figuratively speaking. Just yesterday I saw her in the library, where she grabbed Peter with a dead grip and tried to get something out of him. Honestly!" Sirius put both hands to his heart theatrically. "I saved baby Pete! Couple more minutes and she would've force him to drink Veritaserum."

"Where she could get Veritaserum?" Remus waved dismissively.

"Who knows. The same place from where suspicious book about 'various incurable magical diseases' comes from. As far as I remember, lycanthropy is also on this list."

Remus twitched, settling comfortably on the bed and staring at his friend intently. Sirius, meanwhile, began to gnaw meat of a chicken leg, which he pulled out of an immense bag.

"She won't find out who I am... I guess."

"And what are the key words?"

"I guess?"

"Exactly. I don't like your Parker, but she clung to you with an iron grip. I still don't understand why she hasn't figured out who you are yet."

Remus shrugged, "In fact, the answer is obvious and, therefore, less likely to be found. Nobody pays attention to the simplest options."

"Uh-huh. According to you, werewolves are wandering back and forth across magical England," Sirius shook his head. "Tell me what happened."

"What happened?