Chapter 48: Their Little Secret

Narcissa headed off to Malfoy Manor using her own carriage with her own crew. When she thought of the horrible conditions all the other students were travelling in (five-six people in uncomfortable wooden boxes with some fleabags instead of horses!), she involuntarily started humming a simple tune. There was something childishly pleasant and even a little cocky about it. Mother never allowed her to hum the songs arguing that it's appropriate for the village servants, but not representatives of noble family.

Lucius is waiting for me, Narcissa thought and smiled. It was strange and absolutely wrong so Black immediately pulled her lips down until nobody noticed.

Lucius blackmailed her, Lucius didn't love her, Lucius cheated on her, but soon he will belong to Narcissa completely and totally and nothing's going to change it.

The sensation of forthcoming marriage that earlier caused a slight shock was replaced by a sweet anticipation. She was impatient to try the role of mistress of big house and wife. Narcissa didn't really understand how Andromeda could trade Lestrange, now given to Bella, for some muggle-born. Lestrange is not Malfoy, of course, but -

"We're here, my lady."

The servant opened the door, gave Narcissa his hand, and she took it with extreme displeasure. Lucius was simply obliged to meet his fiancée in person, but such little things didn't really bother him.

Malfoy Manor was horribly cold as if a huge Dementor sucked its soul out. Narcissa shivered, giving the house-elf her yellow coat and white scarf. The elf squeaked something obsequious and walked forward. Boiling with anger, Narcissa was forced to follow.

Her steps echoed in the empty hall and Narcissa involuntarily remembered her first acquaintance with Abraxas Malfoy as Lucius's fiancée. She was so worried then that couldn't utter a word. Abraxas, watching her, only nodded briefly; shy and useless daughter-in-law will not make any problems.

It's good that he died.

Lucius Malfoy, unhealthily pale, in his shirt and white trousers were sitting on the sofa, listening attentively to his mother. What Narcissa first took as a rattle was the voice of Erica Malfoy.

Lucius glanced at the sound of the heels, his half-mad look, darting to and fro, finally stopped at Narcissa. There was relief in it, and Narcissa could barely keep her eyebrows in place.

"Narcissa," he jumped up and started toward her like a man running from fire. He bowed, gently lifting her gloved hand to his lips, and only now, over his back, Narcissa saw another guest.

Eliza Yaxley.

Eliza slightly raised the corners of her lips in a smile and rose to meet Black, about to bow her head in greeting. But her fake politeness could not fix anything. The girl dared to come to Lucius ─ her future husband ─ before Narcissa's arrival!

Lucius let go of Narcissa's hand and silently stepped back.

"Eliza," Narcissa smiled, masterfully controlling her voice and adding as much poison to it as possible. "What a lucky meeting."

Her face radiated majestic tranquility, but there was something wild and diabolical in the curve of her lips intended only for Eliza.

"Narcissa," Eliza bowed her head.

"Do you know each other?" Erica smiled dazzlingly, quite happy from this turn of events.

And only now, looking at her instantly smoothed white face and glowing eyes, Narcissa realized one extremely unpleasant thing: Eliza Yaxley took her roots into the soul of this woman. Black glanced at Lucius and met his eyes. They looked at each other for a moment after which Malfoy stepped a little closer to her. Well, Narcissa had one ally then.