Chapter 43: Farewell Party

"Lucius did great, darling," Walburga said in a dry, powerful voice.

Erica nodded absentmindedly, once again looking around the guests. Her gaze inevitably fixed on Abraxas's face. She wanted to approach him, like in good old days, and timidly, so as not to distract him from his business, ask why he allows himself to sleep when there are so many people around.

"We'll have a meeting, my dear," Walburga continued. "But the Lord entrusted me with something else, so I'll have to leave. Make sure Lucius doesn't forget about it. He's still an impressionable boy and can get confused."

Erica nodded again, glancing around the room full of people.

"What a pity, what a pity," Gretel Nott lamented, grandmother of the current Nott Jr. "He was so young."

"Dragon Pox," Michelle Avery said meaningfully. "Terrible disease."

Guests dispersed along the immense first floor of the Malfoy Manor. Silent voices revived, white wine was poured over the glasses, house elves scurried back and forth, distributing snacks and changing dishes.

The coffin with Abraxas looked absolutely out of place and an empty space gradually formed around it. No one paid any attention to the dead wizard but each managed to avoid crossing the invisible border in some unknown way as if a distracting spell was cast around the coffin.

Sirius froze on the top step of the stairs, feeling like a sprat in the ocean of ever hungry fat sharks. He looked at Abraxas for a long time, studying unfamiliar cruel face in wrinkles but he couldn't even find the slightest resemblance to Lucius. Even being dead, Abraxas looked like a wolf while Lucius like a slippery snake.

A tall black figure of Orion Black in expensive tuxedo and a cigar in his hands flashed in the far doorway. Artificial smile froze on his lips, he was obviously flirting with Mrs. Nott. Seeing the father after all this time, so calm and smiling, was painful.

Sirius didn't expect this but he had to admit that if his parents lamented his escape from home, if their faces were frozen with sorrow and regret, he would've felt a little better. But they didn't care.

Walburga Black stood nearby, accepting compliments and invitations to receptions. Everyone respected her, everyone needed her, especially now after the death of the leader. Walburga turned away, indulgently nodding to Mulciber Sr. who kissed her bony hand, and Sirius slipped past them.

"Lucius!" Mulciber Jr. smiled with his slippery, rotten smile and gave a hand. Sirius shook it with some disgust. "Your speech was perfect."

"Especially considering how you felt about your father," Nott winked.

"Father was a great man," Sirius answered smoothly and was surrounded by understanding glances.

Of course, of course. Keep sticking to the chosen role, they said.

"How are things at Hogwarts?" not wanting to waste time, Sirius began interrogation. Lucius probably would've done the same.

"Mudbloods got what they deserved," Rosier grinned and adjusted his snow-white collar. "None of them have the willpower to resist the potion, pathetic scum."

"It was a great idea, Lucius," Mulciber said.

"I heard the Hospital Wing is full, but there's no result as such," Lucius said, adding a little cold to his voice.

"Yes, yes," Mulciber frowned. "But it's fixable. Potion is gaining strength, and even Dumbledore can't cope with such an influx of suicides. Moreover, we have distributors, as you know. Don't worry, Lucius, we won't fail you."