Chapter 16: Place Your Bets

Marauders planned triumphant return to school after Christmas holidays. But in view of the events that took place, everyone was not up to laughing.

Peter and Remus, having learned about James's grief the last, silently froze, not knowing what to say. Even Emily Parker, usually unperturbed and sensible, stared in horror at Potter, unable to find a word of comfort.

Lily Evans followed James everywhere, whispering softly in his ear. Severus couldn't just ignore this, but he couldn't do anything either. He understood how wrong it would be for him to impede this communication and was losing Lily a little more every day, almost having reconciled to this.

The first smile on James's face showed on the second week after returning to school. Lily once again was saying something to him, sitting at the back desk in Transfiguration class. McGonagall, contrary to her own rules, ignored both of them, even when Lily switched to a frankly loud whisper.

From time to time, Marauders looked back at James, checking his condition and when he suddenly smiled - timidly, uncertainly, as if recalling how it was done - they exhaled with relief and smiled back. Even McGonagall lifted the corners of her lips approvingly, and whispers that swept through the class confirmed how much all Gryffindors were worried about Potter.

Things gradually got better. Staying alone, James once again became gloomy, self-contained, thinking about something for a long time and frowning tensely. But at the sight of his friends he revived a little, trying not to upset them with his sour look.

At the end of the second week, at one of the breakfasts, a huge snow-white owl landed on the Gryffindor table.

"Polar", as Peter Pettigrew unmistakably determined.

"And the biggest owl in the world," Remus added.

The owl opened its huge wings, forcing several students to recoil, and with a very gentle hoot jumped to James. He looked in surprise at wise eyes of the guest and finally noticed an envelope tied with a golden ribbon to owl's paw. In the corner was a glistening abbreviation "AB".

With a strange foreboding, James ripped open the envelope and read it. His face acquired an increasingly surprised expression.

"I know what you had to come through, James Potter. However, the whole school knows... And it would be cruel not to show respect for you. Our little war is just a stupid prank designed to dispel the boredom of days. But now you'd like some peace.

I genuinely admire how you're holding on, James. You're a strong person, and I'm grateful to fate that I have such a worthy opponent. But now - why don't we call a small truce with you? A white flag would be banal, but an owl... I hope you liked it?"

James stooped reading, looking up at the bird. It stared down at him. Half a meter tall and one-and-a-half-meter wingspan, it seemed like a huge snow sculpture.

"In other words, it's a gift, James. He prefers to respond to Prince. Of course, you can take a chance and give him a different name, but I'm afraid he won't obey."

Now James looked at Prince with slight apprehension. The bird continued to gaze at him with a bored expression as if considering him, James, his new pet and not vice versa.

"And to not mislead your friends: I call a truce with you – there's no need to fight with the enemy, if he's not yet capable of a real game. But your friends shouldn't wait for mercy. It seems that I paid too little attention to Remus and Peter... Perhaps I should remedy this unfortunate omission.

Good luck, James Fleamont Potter.

Raise the shields, Sirius, Remus and Peter. The battle is just beginning.