Chapter 19: Trump Card

Saturday morning, Great Hall

"Lily! Lily, wait!" Severus caught up with the girl and, looking around stealthily, took her to the side.

James, passing by with Marauders, glanced at them, but instantly turned away. He remembered his Christmas promise not to touch Snape and was going to keep his word.

"Severus, what do you want?" Evans asked wearily. After a sleepless night and apparition, which drained a lot of energy because of Lily's inexperience, she looked bad. "If you want to talk about... about that thing, now isn't the right place and time."

"I just wanted to make sure that everything went well. Only..."

"Only what?"

"Last night Malfoy asked me a very strange question."

"What question?" Lily pricked up.

"He boasted that he has relatives in France. Another respected and rich pureblood family," Snape winced. "He said that he was at their place on Christmas holidays. And then casually mentioned that he met a wizard with the name Evans and asked if he was related to you. Malfoy isn't the kind of person who gets acquainted with some wizards from France, if there is no political or other benefit."

"Did he mention the city? Well, in which he supposedly was?"

"Grenoble."

Lily could hardly restrain herself from sharp exhalation and as calmly as she could asked, "He knows... but how?"

"I told you it was a crazy idea!" Snape lowered his voice even more. "And you stick your nose there because of this Potter!"

"Leave James alone," Lily said in a steel voice. "It was my decision, no one forced me."

"All right," Severus replied peevishly. "Okay. Your decision. But how do you get out of this? On your own or again come running to me for another potion?"

"I asked you as a friend! If you didn't want to help me, then it wasn't necessary!"

"I'm sorry," Snape muttered and grabbed Lily's hand awkwardly. "Sorry... I'm worried about you, Malfoys are dangerous people and who can protect you?"

"Actually," Lily hesitated. "The moment isn't right, but I wanted to ask you for one more favor. Hey, hey! I don't get involved in anything, on the contrary, it's very prudent idea."

"I'm all ears," Severus growled.

"So, I..."

But the conversation wasn't destined to continue. A sinister laugh rang out in the hall, and then a disheveled figure in long white shirt rushed past Snape and Lily, followed by another one - all in black.

Friends looked at each other in surprise and hurried after so as not to miss the performance unfolding in the Great Hall. Recently, the Great Hall has turned into a theatrical stage.

"What are you doing, Narcissa? Calm down!" the figure screamed, running around Hufflepuff table.

Badgers looked with curiosity at the new guest and, recognizing Lucius Malfoy, froze in awe on the benches, unable to take their eyes off. His strange attire, combined with a cap on his head, evoked either affection or disgust.

"You'll think twice before trying to harass your fiancée before the wedding!"

Narcissa, dressed in a black robe, hastily combed, but at the same time with wonderful make-up, followed Malfoy, waving her wand. McGonagall, despite green sparks flying around, looked at what was happening with some strange, malicious approval.