Chapter 40: A Girl from Nowhere

"I don't wanna live, Madam Pomfrey."

The woman sighed, closed her eyes and rubbed her forehead.

"I'm just a human and I've been given so many benefits. Magic!"

Madam Pomfrey propped her chin on her hand and gazed melancholically at the girl in front of her. The Hufflepuff crouched in the chair, clasped her hands in the lock and with trembling lips pronounced curses at her own address.

The expulsion of students from Hogwarts couldn't pass by the public attention and attention of the Ministry. Therefore, all the candidates for the expulsion were still within the school, bringing even more chaos. Outbreaks of 'depression' flared up here and there. Half-bloods and muggle-borns tried to hang themselves, cut their own (and others'!) veins, steal poisons from Slughorn's basement, but they were caught and brought to life.

Madam Pomfrey was very tired, but Dumbledore's order to open a psychiatric care room couldn't be ignored. Volunteers were on duty alternately, including Lily Evans and even Beata Sprinkles. True, after the latter nearly brought one of the Slytherins who had wandered to the Hospital Wing for the potion from the headache to suicide, they tactfully refused her help.

"Madam Pomfrey, what should I do? I'm unworthy of this power!" the girl said pathetically and, of course, outplayed.

The matron stared in surprise at her and loudly cursed. "Skipping lessons again?! Merlin! Go back to class, now!"

"But I'm suffering!"

"So get to work and there will be no time for suffering!"

The door behind the disheveled and vexed Hufflepuff slammed angrily, but in five minutes, someone knocked again. Madam Pomfrey looked around disapprovingly and breathed a sigh of relief, she was always glad to see Lily Evans.

"Is something wrong, sweetheart?"

Lily hesitated, "Um, James... He fell down from the stairs again."

Lily's cheeks were blushing under the piercing gaze of wise Pomfrey.

"Could it be that, as a Head boy, he decided that he can lynch Slytherins with impunity?" Madam Pomfrey's eyes narrowed.

"He told me that he fell from the stairs," Lily said firmly, entering the ward and closing the door behind her.

Her green eyes flashed mischievously, the light of the torch fell smoothly upon the copper-colored hair. The matron admired and mentally complained that pretty girls like Lily go to troublemakers like Potter. However, deep inside she treated James as her nephew.

"I need just a little bit."

Madam Pomfrey shook her head and went to look for the medicine in the stores. When her weighty footsteps died down behind the door, Lily looked around stealthily and slid to the closet. Polyjuice Potion destined for Sirius couldn't wait.

When Lily, apologizing and guiltily smiling, walked out the door, Madam Pomfrey suspected a trick. But she was too lazy to check, plus, a bottle of chocolate liqueur was hidden in a secret locker and Flitwick promised to drop by in the evening... She decided to check the ingredients later.

✨ ✨ ✨

"Is it true? This isn't your drunken ravings or the result of frostbite?" James narrowed his eyes.

It was gloomy in boys' dorm. The coals were smoldering in the red-hot stove in the center of the room. The guys were sitting on untidy beds, throwing their feet in heavy boots onto snow-white sheets.

"I told you!" Black hit his chest with his fist. "I gave you my word that everything is okay with the parents!"

James crossed his arms over his chest, still paralyzing Black with his eyes.