Chapter 44: The Right Side?

The small reception hall of Malfoy Manor seemed almost an exact copy of the Slytherin common room, making it immediately clear who was the main sponsor of the house. Performed in the original silver-green style, generously decorated with patterns of emerald stones, it was disfigured by a dozen rotten spots ─ the faces of everyone present.

No windows, no other doors, an elongated rectangular hall with a fireplace made of white stone, unlit chandeliers and a long narrow table. Above the fireplace was a huge, full-length mosaic. It mirrored the hall. In the center of the mosaic, stood the figure of a man with perfectly white hair hinting that at the head of the table should always be a Malfoy. Peter snorted. For sure, the seating of the Death Eaters exactly resembled the image on the mosaic.

"This way, Peter," Avery said softly, carefully pushing Pettigrew to one of the chairs.

Peter tried to see his new 'friends', but half of them hid their faces under monstrous silver masks and, moreover, were wrapped in impenetrable black cloaks. Obviously, they didn't trust Peter at all since they agreed to a tight camouflage in this stuffy, windowless room.

Quivering tongues of fire above the thin candles danced ominously on the faces of those who wished to be recognized. Behind Peter was Jacob Avery and, quite unexpectedly, Pettigrew felt a fragile, contradictory sense of gratitude towards him. One way or another, Avery didn't show hostility in relation to Peter. Only disgust.

"Where's Lucius?" Jacob looked around the room in surprise and didn't notice familiar white hair.

"He had to prepare something," Mulciber, in a black tuxedo, sat on a chair with a green pillow and a high back. He was openly amused, watching the tensed Gryffindor.

"And more than half an hour has passed since then," Evan Rosier was extremely displeased. "This day is hard for Lucius, we understand that, but..."

But the death of a loved one, even a father, was not an excuse.

The eyes of the seated people, hidden in the half-darkness, clung to Peter. They had nothing to do in expectation of Malfoy and Pettigrew seemed a tasty short-term entertainment. Peter continued to stand motionless, waiting for Avery's instructions, but Jacob allowed himself to hesitate so as to fully enjoy the silent humiliation of the old enemy.

The door to the room swung open and the light poured the Death Eaters at the table with yellow and orange. They immediately wrapped tightly in cloaks and grumbled like disturbed vampires. Peter managed to make out a few familiar faces before a strange massive figure barred the doorway.

"Lucius was found stunned in his office," said a grim voice. "His things are untouched, the safe is not hacked, but probably they stole something that we don't know yet."

Rough, sticky voice was unfamiliar to Peter, as well as the reported information. However, it worried the others. The Death Eaters began to rise from their seats, exchanging glances. Avery, behind Peter's shoulder, breathed heavily.

In a moment, all the looks as if summoned by Accio were fixed on Peter. Behind stood an unfamiliar hulk of a man, huge and clumsy, ahead a crowd of hungry jackals. Peter was caught between the rock and the hard place, knowing full well that it's not important whether it was his fault; important thing is that he was a Gryffindor and a half-blood. Plus, they needed no reason to cut his skull, only an excuse.

"What a wonderful coincidence," Mulciber stepped forward and the entire pack immediately froze behind him. "Lucius was stunned at the farewell party of his father, at the same time as the notorious Peter was in his manor. That's an amazing surprise!"

"I've been with Jacob all the time!" Peter shouted. Fear overwhelmed him and, instead of scornfully spitting under the feet of the Slytherin as James would've done or falling silent like Sirius, he made a terrible mistake. He began to justify himself.