12

Milena sat in the corner of an empty tavern with Thor

Milena sat in the corner of an empty tavern with Thor. They sat in silence, taking occasional sips of their drinks. The sun was setting and Thor said that he had a plan to leave Asgard with Jane, despite his father's orders.

The pair looked up as they saw Heimdall walk into the tavern.

"You're not in Odin's war council?" Thor asked

"The Bifrost is closed by your father's orders. No one is to come or to go." Heimdall took off his helmet and placed it on the table as he spoke. "We face an enemy that is invisible even to me. Of what use is a guardian such as that?" He sighed

"Malekith will return, you know this. I'll need your help." Thor said

"I cannot overrule my King's wishes, not even for you." Heimdall explained.

Thor shook his head "I'm not asking you to. The Realms need their All-Father strong and unchallenged, whether he is or not. But he is blinded, Heimdall, by hatred and by grief."

"As are we all."

"Well I see clearly enough"

"The risks are too great." Heimdall remarked

"Everything that we do from here on is a risk, there is no other way." Thor insisted.

Heimdall hesitated. "What do you require of me?"

———

The final rays of light disappeared behind Asgard's mountains and the only light came from the candles lit in the tavern and the street. Thor, Milena, and Heimdall waited for the Fandral, Volstagg, and Sif to meet them.

Clad in cloaks looking cautiously around them as they entered, they all sat down at the table.

"What I'm about to ask of you is treason of the highest order." Thor started "Success will bring us exile, and failure shall mean our death. Malekith knew the Aether was here, he can sense its power. If we do nothing he will come for it again, but this time lay waste to all of Asgard."

Milena's worry grew as Thor spoke. This was the first time she was hearing his plan, and it came wth great risks. She still had so much to learn on Asgard, but she could be exiled or even killed. But at the same time she didn't want Jane to stay on Asgard and have Malekith destroy Asgard.

"We must move Jane off world." Thor finished

"The Bifrost has been shut down, and the Tesseract locked away in a vault." Sif said

"There are other paths off Asgard, ways known only to a few." Heimdall said from where he stood against the wall.

"One, actually." Thor murmured

Everyone looked at each other in realization.

"No." Said Volstagg gravely

"We went through so much trouble on earth trying to capture Loki, and you want to set him free?!" Milena asked incredulously