Dragon Training

Hiccup's POV

"Welcome to dragon training!"

I watched from the back as the other teens walked in, eh, rather dramatically. "No turning back." Astrid said, glaring at the cage where the dragons were kept.

I sighed, I felt so bad for the dragons... Especially that Nightmare.

'Stop it! I have babies back home! Please let me go!'

The Nightmare's words struck into me like a knife. Just thinking about it made me want to cry. I was going to go to the Night Fury this morning, but I completely forgot about training. So that was why I was a little late.

It didn't really help when I could literally hear all the dragons' pleas to get out.

I heard Astrid, Tuffnut and Ruffnut say something about hoping to get pain. I rolled my eyes, typical twins. "Yeah, no kidding, right? Pain. Love it." I said sarcastically.

The teens turned to me, noticing me. Wow.

"Oh, great. Who let him in?" Well hello to you too.

"Let's get started! The recruit who does best will win the honor of killing his first dragon in front of the entire village." Gobber said enthusiastically.

I sighed. What kind of honor is taking a life?

"Hiccup already killed a Night Fury, so, does that disqualify him or..." Snotlout jeered. The twins cackled.

Gobber hobbled to me smiling. I glared at him. "Why'd you tell my dad I could wield weapons!? You promised you would never tell!"

He just held his hand (Well arm and fake arm) in surrender at my glare.

"Think about it, you'll be able to prove yourself to your father!" He argued.

I sighed. I wanted him to be proud because I'm me. Not a mindless dragon killer! "Don't worry. You're small but strong. That'll make you less of a target! They'll see you as sick or insane and go after the more Viking-like teens instead. Then, you can get your chance!"

I ignored him and went to the line halfheartedly.

"Behind these doors are just a few of the many species you will learn to fight! The Deadly Nadder." Gobber said.

"Speed: eight; Armor: sixteen." Fishlegs said.

"The Hideous Zippleback!"

"Plus eleven stealth times two." Fishlegs literally jiggled in excitement. 

"The Monstrous Nightmare!"

"Firepower: fifteen." By now, the other teens werew rolling their eyes.

"The Terrible Terror!"

"Attack: eight; Venom: twelve!"

"CAN YOU STOP THAT?! And... the Gronckle!" Gobber glared at the teen, making him shut up to the teens sake.

"Jaw strength: eight.." He whispered to everyone.... but me.

Gobber prepared doors. Astrid was looking determined, Fishlegs was now nervous, the twins were.... throwing insults at each other, and Snotlout looked completely terrified.

"Whoa, whoa, wait! Aren't you gonna teach us first?" Snotlout cried, shaking. Wow. And he says he's fearless.

"I believe in learning on the job." Gobber said casually continuing, "Today is about survival. If you get blasted... you're dead! Quick! What's the first thing you're going to need?"

"A docter?" I said, Gobber threw me a look that clearly meant 'You know better than that!'

"Plus five speed?!" I saw Snotlout look at him as if he was crazy as he dodged a blast.

"A shield!" Obviously Astrid would get it right.

Anyways, theGroncklewas steaming and determined to get out.

He was staring at the dragon proof cage we were in. 'Huh. Vikings were smart for once!' She said. I snorted, accidently gaining her attention.

'A Viking hatchling! Why do you smell like Night Fury!?' She cried, narrowing her eyes at me, hissing.

'My friend is a Night Fury! Don't hurt me please!'  I chuffed quietly as I ran away from her. I looked back for long enough for me to see a look of shock on her face.

'How did you do that!?' She snorted. 'I'm not sure, it just happened.' I answered.

'I WILL NOT BELIEVE THAT!' She roared. She pinned me against the wall getting ready to blast me.

Suddenly Gobber saved me just in time. But instead of asking if I was ok, he scolded me.

"And that's six! Go back to bed, ya overgrown sausage! You'll get another chance, don't you worry." He glared at me. "Remember: a dragon will always -- always -- go for the kill."

But then, I had a thought.

That dragon didn't.....

Is he different than the others?