Realisation

Hiccup's POV

"And with one twist, he took my hand, and swallowed it whole. And I saw the look on his face: I was delicious. He must have passed the word, because it wasn't a month before another one of them took my leg."

We were at the top of a watch tower, roasting chicken. Gobber was 'entertaining' us with one of his 'thrilling' stories.

I groaned inwardly. Gobber had told us this story at least a thousand times!

"Isn't it weird to think that your hand was inside a dragon? Like if your mind was still in control of it, you could have killed the dragon from the inside by... crushing his heart, or something." Fishlegs said. 

I refrained from staring at him as if he was crazy. That was just weird Fishlegs!

"I swear, I'm so angry right now! I'll avenge your beautiful hand and your beautiful foot. I'll chop off the legs of every dragon I fight. With my face!" Snotlout said, smiling at Astrid, who of course glared at him.

I wanted to laugh. Yeah, the dragon would fly away from him his face, he was just too terrifyingly ugly!

"Un-unh. It's the wings and the tails you really want. If it can't fly, it can't get away." Gobber said, biting his chicken.

"A downed dragon is a dead dragon." My eyes widened in horror.

"Alright. I'm off to bed. You should be, too. Tomorrow we get to the big boys. Slowly but surely making our way up to the Monstrous Nightmare. But who'll win the honor of killing it?"

The others said something, but I couldn't hear them. 

Toothless had his left tailfin sliced off.

He couldn't fly.

Toothless was a downed dragon.

A downed dragon was a dead dragon.

I had to go, I couldn't handle it. I raced down the steps that lead to the ground. Suddenly an idea struck my head like a bullet.

Of course! I was a black smith!

At the forge, I started to work immediately. I started sowing, carving and everything I knew about Black Smithing.

I did it. 

And if this works...

Toothless will be in sky once again.