Dragon classification

Hiccup's POV

I picked up the ripped bola in confusion. Why did Vikings just assume dragons were merciless killers?

Oh. Right, their Vikings.

I went to the direction to where my dragon went, hoping to find him. I was worried, he didn't seem very stable or graceful like he normally was when he flew. Was something wrong?

I went through a cave, maybe he was hiding in here?

Then I saw a light. There was an exit!

Suddenly, the most beautiful place, no, cove was in front of me. But I didn't see my dragon....

""Well, this was stupid." I sighed in disappointment. Suddenly a shriek sounded through the cove.

My Dragon!

I watched in concern yet fascination as he tried to fly. He fell each time he tried. Then he went over to the lake snapping his head into the water to catch fish.

He came out empty.

The guilt in my gut increased so badly.

But ignoring it, I sketched him out, wondering why he couldn't fly. "Why don't you just... fly away?"

I noticed his tail. His left tail fin was gone? I erased the left tail fin in my book. But then I lost grip on my charcoal pencil.

I watched in horror as the pencil hit the ground. The dragon stared up at me.... In fascination?

I thought he'd be mad?

Tears filled my eyes. 'I'm sorry...!' Then, I ran away.

~~~~~~~~

"Alright. Where did Astrid go wrong in the ring today?" I heard Gobber say as I trudged into the Mead hall. I looked down, to avoid the sneers from the other teens.

I pretended to listen as the teens said something. I was thinking about my dragon. He couldn't fly! And because of me....

"She's right, you have to be tough on yourselves. Where did Hiccup go wrong?" Oh Gods, here we go.

"Uh, he showed up?" Ruffnut said with disgust.

"He didn't get eaten!" Tuffnut sneered, high fiving Snotlout.

"He's never where he should be." Astrid glared hatefully at me.

"Thank you, Astrid. You need to live and breathe this stuff. The Dragon Manual. Everything we know about every dragon we know of." Gobber said, turning his back to me.

I stared at my chicken. Suddenly, thunder roared in the distance. And I think Snotlout just squeaked in fear.

"No attacks tonight. Study up." Gobber said, staring at the ceiling, but I don't know how he would see the sky when the ceiling's in the way...

"Wait, you mean, read?" Yes Tuffnut, read.

"While we're still alive?!" No Ruffnut, read while your dead.

"Why read words when you can just kill the stuff the words tell you stuff about?" Oh I don't know, to have more than one working brain cell?!

"Oh! I've read it like, seven times. There's this water dragon that sprays boiling water at your face. And--And there's this other one that buries itself for like a week-" Well, at least Fishlegs is smart.

"Yeah, that sounds great. See, there was a chance I was going to read that..." Uh huh, totally.

Ruffnut said with disgust, "...But, now..."

"You guys read, I'll go kill stuff!" Snotlout announced, sneaking a glance at Astrid. 

Ruffnut, Tuffnut and Fishlegs followed him, with Fishlegs still rambling. I walked over to Astrid, "So I guess we'll share?" I said hopefully.

"Read it." Of course. She went out to the door. "All mine then. Wow, okay. So, I'll see you, uh.." *SLAM*

"Tomorrow..."

I flipped open the book. I didn't want to read it. Gods know what the Vikings wrote in here about the dragons. But I had too. If I didn't Gobber would probably make me, Tuffnut, Ruffnut and Snotlout clean the dragon pens.

And that..... let's just say, that would break your sense of smell.

The contents were horrifying. "Dragon classifications. Strike Class, Fear Class, Mystery Class." This... sounded nothing like dragons.

"Thunderdrum: This reclusive dragon inhabits sea caves and dark tide pools. When startled, the Thunderdrum produces a concussive sound that can kill a man at close range. Extremely dangerous, kill on sight. "

"Timberjack: This gigantic creature has razor sharp wings that can slice through full grown trees. Extremely dangerous, kill on sight."

Scauldron: Sprays scalding water at its victim. Extremely dangerous. Changewing: Even newly hatched dragons can spray acid. Kill on sight."

"Gronckle, Zippleback, The Skrill, Boneknapper, Whispering Death."

"Burns its victims, buries its victims, chokes its victims, turns its victims inside-out. Extremely dangerous, extremely dangerous, kill on sight, kill on sight, kill on sight.."

Sheesh. What's with these 'kill on sight's?

But what I was looking for didn't show up yet. I kept flipping the pages rapidly. Not really caring if I missed any pages or not.

Finally. I found it.

There was no picture. I took my book and placed it on the empty page.

"Night Fury: Speed, unknown. Size, unknown. The unholy offspring of lightning and death itself. Never engage this dragon. Your only chance, hide and pray it does not find you."