☹ Beat of a Broken Heart

Your POV

I was walking through the halls of Derry High School, a school well known for being arts based. This year I'd gotten into serious singing and sure enough, the following Monday would be band try outs. Patrick Hockstetter, although weird and aggressive, was absolutely gorgeous and would be trying out as he did every year. Almost all the girls from school planned to show up at auditions just to see him.

"I heard he's auditioning for drums this year," my friend whispers in my ear. "Kind of surprised he's not trying for bass, he always does that".

I smirk and nudge her playfully, "how would you know, you go and watch his auditions?" She rolls her eyes and walks to her next class. Grabbing my books, I make my way towards the staircase but bump into a tall figure. "Hey-shit- I'm sorry".

"Haha, no worries," a deep voice says and I gaze up into a pair of striking eyes. "I'm shit, what's your name?" He teases and I grin.

 "I'm shit, what's your name?" He teases and I grin

"Y/N. Nice to meet you, shit," I reply and hold out my hand.

---Two weeks later---

We'd been sorted into our band groups and as I expected, I was put into Patrick's (he wanted to put in a good word for me with the sorters so they'd put me in his band). Since we were really good friends now, band was going to be great... Or so I thought.

"Y/N, watch me," he says and starts dramatically playing air drums. I shush him and wait for the other band members to enter the room. A beautiful girl with dirty blonde hair comes in and squeals when she sees Patrick.

"Hey cutie," she says and he smiles. Gross.

---2 hours later---

"I don't like that one girl though, seriously," I say and Patrick gives me a weird look.

"Why? She's so nice".

"I don't know, she's just- ugh," I shudder and he laughs at me. I straddle his lap playfully and he grips my thighs with his hands, looking up at me intently. "Can I ask you something?" I ask and he nods his head, beckoning me to continue. "Would a guy like you date me?" He goes quiet and now I think I've gone too far.

"Yeah totally. Wait- do you like one of my friends or something?" He's so clueless.

"Yeah... Something like that". I roll off of his lap but he keeps one hand on my knee, lightly hitting it like a drum every now and then as we watch tv.

The days seemed endless during band. I watched Pat and "blondie" get closer and closer every minute they were together. Eventually he stopped calling me over to hang out and my heart pulled at the thought they were together the moment I was writing out function notation at home. I missed him.

Today Patrick comes to my locker for the first time. "Hey," I chirp, trying to sound okay.

"Hey gorgeous". He pulls me into a close hug and I bury my face into his neck. "Haven't seen you in a while have I?" He adds, fist bumping Henry Bowers as he walks by.

"Yeah, I was beginning to think you got floated," I joke, stopping my awkward giggle when I make eye contact with Bill.

"Why haven't you been at band practice?" He questions, a genuinely sad look in his eyes.

"Just wasn't feeling it. I have to get to class," I read on, pushing past him. Unfortunately I don't get very far.

"Hold up, Y/N. You're being weird".

"Didn't think you'd notice, I mean you're hardly ever around anymore," I seethe, continuing to walk.

"Bullshit-"

"You know what, Patrick? It's really not bullshit cause you haven't talked to me in days. Why the fuck do you suddenly care?!"

"Cause I missed my best friend," he answers sadly.

I couldn't listen to the words he was telling me without growing angry, "yeah? Go tell it to that person then, cause I'm sure as hell not your best friend". With that, I left Patrick Hockstetter standing in the empty hallway.

 With that, I left Patrick Hockstetter standing in the empty hallway