Ch. 3

*Dahlia's POV*

"Dahlia! Please get the fuck up!" Liz said, pulling the blankets off me.

I groaned and rolled over. "Go away."

Liz smacked my butt. "Dahlia Rose! C'mon! I have someone coming over and I don't need some half naked chick in my bed."

"People love half naked chicks." I said, rolling over on to my back.

She looked at me. "Get up. Get dressed. Be presentable."

I rubbed my eyes. "Gimme clothes."

Liz got up and dug through her clothes, throwing me a pair of black leggings and a baggy navy blue tshirt. I got up and got dressed, brushing my hair and doing my makeup. Liz pulled on a pair of blue jean shorts and a white crop top.

"Who's coming over?" I asked.

Liz layed down on her bed and played with her belly button ring. "Austin."

I looked at her. "Carlile?"

She nodded and looked at me. "Yeah."

I nodded and pushed my hair behind my ear. "He's nice."

"Yeah. That's why i like him. He's so polite and sweet." She said.

I stood up and picked up my phone. I frowned.

"What?" Liz said.

"37 text messages from my mother." I said.

Liz shook her head. "Do you want me to take you home?"

"Maybe later." I said.

There was a knock on the door and Austin stepped in. Our eyes met and my heart fluttered.

"Hey, Dahlia." He said.

I smiled. "Hi, Austin."

He came in and sat on Liz's bed. "What's up, Liz?"

She shook her head and examined her tan lines. "Nothin."

Austin looked at me. "What are you doin here?"

I shrugged and tapped my eyeliner against my hand. "I don't like to go home when I'm drunk."

"How come?" He asked.

Liz looked at me and shook her head. I shrugged. "I dunno."

"Don't you live with Benny?" Austin asked.

I sat down at Liz's desk. "No. I live with my mom and step dad."

Liz threw her pack of cigarettes at me. "25 and still livin with mommy."

I rolled my eyes. "You're 26 and live off your brothers. At least I've moved out before."

Austin chuckled. "Why'd you move back home?"

Liz and I looked at each other, trying to figure out what to say. Liz sat up and shrugged. "She didn't pay the rent on her old apartment."

Austin nodded and looked at his phone. I looked at Liz and mouthed the words "thank you."

My phone buzzed over and over again. I groaned and threw it down on the desk. Liz sat up and frowned. "Your mom?"

I nodded. "3 more texts."

Austin looked up at me. Liz stood up and shook her head. "That's such bullshit. You're not her mother."

Austin frowned. "Is everything okay?"

I nodded and picked up my phone and threw it in my purse. "Whatever. She can wait." I looked at Liz. "Let's go do something."

---

We drove through town in Liz's car, Austin in the passenger seat. I sat in the back and watched him. He sang and laughed with Liz. He was adorable. I could feel myself starting to like him and I hated it. I kept having to remind myself that gaining feelings was bad. It didn't help that he was so sweet and nice.

Austin turned his seat and smiled at me. "So what do you want to do today?"

I shrugged and looked out the window. I hated being short with him but I did not want to fall for him. I couldn't go through that again.

Liz turned the radio down. "Dahlia, be nice."

I frowned. "Liz. Shut up."

My phone buzzed 3 times. I looked at my phone. "God dammit."

Liz and I caught each others eyes in the rearview mirror. "Want me to take you home?"

I sighed. "Can we just swing by there? I'll give Mom her shit and then we'll leave."

She nodded. "Yeah."

I looked at Austin and blushed. I didn't want him to see where I lived. It was so embarrassing. "Liz? Can you just drop me off at the corner?"

She frowned. "No. You're not walking through that neighborhood alone."