Ch. 12

*Dahlia's POV*

We pulled up in front of my house and I didn't want to move. Cal's truck sat in the driveway. I wanted to stay with Austin all night. We sat in silence for a few minutes, until Austin finally cleared his throat.

"I can walk you up to the house if you want." He said.

I looked at him and then back at Cal's truck. "Could you walk me up to my room?" I looked back at him.

"Sure." He said. He smiled. "Are you okay?"

I nodded. "Yeah. Me and my step dad just don't get along that well."

He turned the car off. "Yeah. Liz told me."

I frowned. "Told you what?"

He looked at me and shifted in his seat. "She told me that Cal has been raping you since you were 12."

I bit my tongue to keep from yelling.

Austin reached over and touched my hand. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have brought it up."

I shook my head. "No. It's fine. She just shouldn't have told anyone."

He nodded. "Do you want to go inside?"

"Yeah." I opened my door and got out. Austin was at my side in just a few seconds. He held my hand and walked towards the house. I looked at our hands and looked up at him. He looked straight ahead, a huge grin on his face.

---

*Austin's POV*

When we reached the door I could hear Cal yelling.

"You're a grown woman, Lori! Stop acting like a baby!" He yelled.

Dahlia tensed up and sighed. She looked up at me. "Sorry."

I shook my head. "It's okay."

Dahlia unlocked the door and grabbed my hand, pulling me inside and up the stairs.

"Hey!" Cal yelled. "Dahlia!"

Dahlia went up the stairs two at a time and ran into her room. I shut the door behind us and locked it.

She turned and looked at me. "I'm so sorry about him." She pulled her jacket off and threw it on the floor. "You can sit down."

I sat down on the bed and looked around. Dahlia stood in front of her dresser, digging through the drawers. She pulled out a pair of flannel pajama pants and a black T-shirt.

"Do you mind if I change?" She asked.

"No, that's fine." I said.

She smiled. "Don't look, okay?"

I chuckled. "Okay." I turned my head towards her nightstand.

There was a picture on the nightstand. I picked it up. The picture was of a guy with black hair, greased back. He was smiling at the baby boy in his lap. The boy had black hair and yellow-green eyes, just like Dahlia's.

"Hey, Dahl?" I said.

"Yeah?" She said, walking towards me.

"Are these your brothers?" I asked.

She looked at the picture and bit her lip. There was a loud bang on the door and she jumped.

"Dahlia! Your mother wants you." Cal yelled.

She rolled her eyes. "I'll be right back." She opened the door and pushed past Cal.

I looked at the picture. The guy looked young. The boy looked to be about 2 years old. I took the picture out of the frame and flipped it over. It had writing on the back.

Andrew and Anthony Marshall

I put the picture back in the frame and put the picture down. After a few minutes Dahlia came back in and locked her door.

I smiled at her. "Could I see those drawings now?"

She smiled and nodded towards the nightstand drawer. "It's in there." She came and sat next to me.

I took out the sketch book and opened it. All the pictures were beautiful. She leaned against me and rested her head on my shoulder.

"Are you thirsty or anything?" She asked.

I looked up at her. Her yellow eyes looked into mine. "No, I'm okay."

She smiled. "Thank you for coming inside with me."

I smiled back. "You're welcome."

Her hand gently touched mine and I held her hand. She blushed and looked at the floor. Her eyes moved over to the picture on her nightstand and then she pulled away.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

She looked at me and then back at the picture. Her eyes filled with tears. "I think you should go." She whispered.

I looked at her and frowned. "What?"

She moved away from me and stood up. "I think you should go."

I looked at her and got annoyed. I set the sketch book down on the bed and stood up, walking out and slamming the door behind me.