Chapter 1: Ours

Mufasa opened his eyes as sunlight streamed into the den. He immediately brightened as he rushed to his paws in excitement. He turned in the nest that he shared with his mother and brother to find her still sound asleep. He crept forward and shook Taka's shoulders vigorously.

    "Taka. Taka!"

    Taka moaned as he lifted a paw and half heartedly pushed Mufasa's cheek aside. "Mufasa, go away," moaned Taka as he lifted his head and rested it sideways on his paws. "I'm still tired."

    "Come on, Taka. It'll be fun. You can sleep tonight," Mufasa growled playfully as he butted his head against his brother's shoulder powerfully. He purred in amusement as Taka lifted and plowed into him.

    The two kits went rolling, growling softly as to not wake up their mother. Mufasa managed to kick his hind legs against Taka's chest. Taka let out a yelp in surprise as he was thrust against the edge of the nest. He lifted a paw to his neck while he narrowed his eyes at his brother. "Leave me alone!"

    Mufasa slightly shied away from him and snorted in distain. "Fine, be that way. You're no fun," he huffed with a roll of his eyes as he watched his brother sulk. He rolled his eyes before he heard pawsteps creep toward them.

    A growl rolled in Mufasa's throat as he leaped for the edge of the nest and thrust his paw against something hard. There was a yelp before a pretty, pale lioness cub fell back. Her eyes were round as she glanced at Mufasa while a paw lifted and rubbed at his head. "Ow!"

    Bashfulness crept into Mufasa's face. "Oh, sorry, Sarabi. I didn't know that was you."

    "Who did you think it was," flashed Sarabi with a bit of amusement glittering in her eyes.

    Mufasa shrugged as he clicked his teeth together in a small snarl. "An intruder!"

    With that he leaped for her. He slammed his paws into Sarabi's shoulders and thrust her to the ground. Sarabi yelped in excitement as she started to arch her back so that her chest knocked his paws from her shoulders. Mufasa kicked his hind leg against her underbelly before he managed to pin her wriggling form under him. A deep purr rolled in Mufasa's throat while Sarabi panted in exhaustion.

    "Got ya," he announced as he leaped from her.

    Sarabi rolled onto her underbelly and flicked her fur from her eyes. "Yeah, whatever. You've been practicing!"

    "Practicing," echoed Mufasa in surprise. "With who?"

    "Your dad," flashed Sarabi as she bounded forward. She hit her shoulder against his playfully. "You know, the king?"

    Mufasa wrinkled his nose in distain. He shuffled his paws from under him. "You know that I haven't actually been able to leave Pride Rock, right?"

    "Maybe we should change that."

    Mufasa and Sarabi spun around as Authrua waltzed forward. Her tail kinked over her back as she came over to her sister joyfully. "Aurhrua-"

    "Come on! It's safe near Pride Rock. That's what Mama always tells us. Why can't we take Mufasa and Taka out to explore," she argued with a firm glance to Sarabi.

    Sarabi set her jaw reluctantly before she looked away with a shrug. "I don't know."

    "Let's do it," exclaimed Mufasa as he speared forward with Authrua right behind.

    Sarabi held back as she glanced over to Taka. His back was still to them, but his ears were pricked forward as he listened to their conversation. Sarabi padded over and reared on her hind legs with her paws rested against the edge of the nest. "Taka, don't you want to come?"