Chapter 17: Help Her

Mufasa purred as he walked side by side with Marfia. The elderly lionesses had offered to take him on a small walk. She was growing older and couldn't manage to hunt anymore or stay too far from Pride Rock.

"Slow down," puffed Marfia with her ears pinned against her head.

Mufasa skidded to a halt and swung around and noticed her struggling to keep up. Mufasa doubled back and went to press against her when Marfia drew away from him. "I'm not an invalid! I won't just collapse and die at any moment, little one. I just need to catch my breath."

"Sorry," Mufasa apologized bashfully.

"I suppose that you've heard the whispers. Abaku is already planning my death," Marfia joked with a raspy laugh. It turned into a cough that shook her shoulders. Mufasa glanced at her in fear before before she composed herself and continued on as if nothing had happened.

"I don't listen to needless gossip," Mufasa announced with a flick of his growing mane.

Marfia's eyes gleamed in amusement. She buttered her head against the prince's shoulder. "Really? Because I heard all the whispers about you and Sarabi. Some of the rumors around here can be quiet exciting."

Heat instantly rushed to Mufasa's face. He opened his mouth to answer before he just managed to gulp. "It's not what you...."

"Prince! Prince!"

Mufasa looked around at the voice that sounded above him. He twitched his ear before a hornbill, that looked exceptionally like Zuzu, fluttered down in front of Mufasa's face. Mufasa drew backwards in surprise and lifted a paw to push him back. "Do you mind?!"

"Sire, it's an emergency," squawked the hornbill.

Mufasa shook his head and narrowed his eyes. "Who are you?"

"It's Zazu," replied Marfia as she took a step toward him. She turned her eyes on Zazu, narrowing her eyes against her failing vision. "Zuzu's son, am I right?"

Zazu nodded while trying to flutter still in front of Mufasa's face. "There's something wrong! A lioness has fallen into a deep ravine. She needs help!"

Immediately, terror pulsed through Mufasa and made his heart almost scream in protest. He shook his head to clear it before he pelted forward. "Marfia, get help!"

He pelted forward with Zazu flying right in front of him. He led him toward the outskirts of the Pride Land territory. Lionesses didn't usually hunt out there, but with prey so scarce, it was one of the only options left.

Mufasa willed his legs to move faster. He panted heavily with his eyes round as he noticed a herd of African Wild Dogs clustered around a deep and wide divot in the ground. He heard urgent growling and frustrated breathing from within that hole.

"Move," roared Mufasa as he leaped almost on top one of the dogs. They whimpered and scampered away with their tails tucked between their legs. Mufasa didn't pay them any mind as he sunk his claws into the edge of the hole and slightly leaned forward. Grit sprinkled down and chunks started to tear off. Mufasa pulled back for a moment before he could find another pawhold.

Mufasa glanced down and recognized that pale pelt and gleaming, fearful eyes glance up at him. "Sarabi," he breathed.

Relief washed over Sarabi. She reared on her hind legs and stretched up her paws toward Mufasa. She stood on tiptoe as she thrust a paw toward Mufasa's face, catching pure air. "Mufasa, Thank the ancestors. I'm stuck!"

"How did you get down there," Mufasa asked. He surveyed the sides of the ditch. He stretched out his paw and rested his paw on them. Chunks of dry dirt showered onto Sarabi's pelt. She hissed and drew back as she lifted a paw and brushed it against the top of her head and left shoulder.

Sarabi let out a sigh once she cleaned the dirt from her fur. "I was chasing a zebra colt and wasn't looking where I was going. I stumbled in here and when I called for help, no one came. I think that I stayed away from Pikra and Lilvania."

"You're a bit on the outskirts," replied Mufasa quickly. He drew up to his full height and prowled around the circumstance of the ditch. "But, Zazu heard you and came to get me."

"Who's Zazu?"

"Long story. I'll tell you when you're out of here" replied Mufasa as he glanced back down at the hole. His mind reeled as he worked his claws against the dusty earth.

The sound of pawsteps allowed hope to swell in Mufasa. He saw Ahadi, Uru, Pikra, Jayris, and Saourown approach. He dipped his head as they approached. "Thank goodness that you came. Sarabi is stuck and I don't know how to get her out."

"Are you alright," called Pikra. Her eyes rounded as her muscles tensed at the edge of the hole.

Jayris leaned forward and pushed her head against Pikra's chest and pushed her backwards. "It don't help anyone if you're in that hole with her," pointed out Jayris gently as Pikra let out a grief filled moan.

Pikra already lost one cub. She had been doing so well since Rafiki gave her that fruit. I can't let her loose another one, Mufasa thought.

"I have an idea," he announced.

Ahadi spun around to face his son with fire burning in his gaze. "Let's hear it," he told him proudly.

"If I jump in, the she can step on my back and I'll help her up," explained Mufasa loud enough so that Sarabi could hear it too.

Uru's eyes turned troubled. She padded forward and pressed against her son. "And how are you going to get out? You can't jump out."

"Probably not, but I can leap high enough so that you an grab my paws," he replied. He walked over to the hole without another word. He lowered down with his underbelly rested against the ground. He peered down and saw Sarabi laying at the bottom, panting heavily.

She's exhausted. She can't do this forever. I have to help her!

    Without so much as another though, Mufasa kicked his hind legs against the edge and propelled himself to the bottom of the hole.