Chapter 12: Protect

Mufasa emerged from Pride Rock and saw Sarabi laying, sprawled, on the base of Pride Rock. Her eyes appeared to be unfocused and she barely moved when Mufasa approached slowly.

It's been a half a moon. I thought that Sarabi would've been feeling a little bit better. I guess being hungry doesn't help, but I need to cheer her up!

"Sarabi," pressed Mufasa as he leaned forward.

Sarabi twitched an ear. "What do you want, Mufasa," she asked hollowly without looking back to see him.

Mufasa sat down and lifted a paw. He licked it before he drew it over his ear to flick it upward. "I just wanted to know if you wanted to play or something."

"No," she answered simply.

Mufasa shook his slightly growing mane before he bounded over to her. He leaped right in front of her and lowered his head to her level. "Come on," he urged with a deep purr rolling in the back of his throat. "We can go and see if we can find anything to eat. Even something small is better than nothing."

Sarabi lifted her head before she placed it down so that she was looking away from Mufasa. "If only we had done that a moon earlier," she replied dryly.

Mufasa sighed heavily as he sat up. He worked his paws against the ground for a moment before his eyes gleamed. "Okay, how about we just go for a walk. It might cheer you up," suggested Mufasa as he pressed his head against Sarabi's shoulder. He managed to lift it a bit before he leaped almost on top of her. He nipped at her ear and managed a smile from her.

"Mufasa...."

"Come on. Just a little walk. If you hate it, then we can come back. It might make you feel better," Mufasa asked as he drew away from her to give her some space.

After a moment, Sarabi rose to her paws. She shook out her fur as she rose before she followed Mufasa toward the rockface. Mufasa scaled it easily, but he noticed that Sarabi was falling behind. Her muscles shook when she took a step and her claws seemed splintered. Her pelt was thin and stretched over her bony hips and ribs. Her eyes were dull and spacey as she stumbled from the rocks.

Mufasa bounded forward and leaped beside her. He pressed against her and Sarabi flinched. "I'm just helping you down," whispered Mufasa gently.

"I was wondering if you were going to push me off," joked Sarabi. Her pawsteps grew more firm and calculated with Mufasa guiding her.

"Never!" Mufasa's answer was fierce and powerful. Sarabi looked at him in surprise before he helped her the rest of the way down. She let out a breath of relief and shook her head to clear it. "Are you alright?"

"Just a little dizzy," Sarabi answered truthfully. She glanced around with her eyes strained against the rising sun. "Which way is Vulture Rock?"

Mufasa readjusted himself so that he pressed against Sarabi. He gingerly leaned on her and urged her in a little different of a direction. "That way, I believe. Why?"

"Just thinking about my father," she answered as she swallowed thickly. "Mother used to take Authrua and I to see him when we were younger at Vulture Rock. He lives a great deal further in that direction. He used to have a pride, but I think that he lost it."

Mufasa nodded. "We could go there if you want?"

"No, that's alright. We should look for prey and no animals hung around there besides vultures," Sarabi replied as she forced herself to move forward.

Mufasa followed her and allowed her to take the lead. Her pawsteps grew firmer and more controlled. "I think that I know where I'm going now," she announced after a few moments of walking. "I haven't walked the savannah in a long time."

"Me either," Mufasa replied. He took a massive leap and landed beside her so that they walked side by side, matching each other's strides. "I used to go with Dad and Taka a lot, but Taka barely speaks to me and Ahadi is too busy with this drought. It's like it has brought out the worst in all of us."

Sarabi glanced up with a gleam in her eyes. "Maybe not all of us," she corrected.

Before Mufasa could ask what was happening, there was a shriek. Mufasa glanced around and waited for his father to emerge into action. When Ahadi didn't come, Mufasa spun to face Sarabi. "I have to help whoever that is."

He took off with Sarabi calling his name behind him. He ignored it as he picked up the pace. He leaped over a small hill before he skidded to a halt.

In the center of a circle made of hyenas, stood a baboon. It's limbs were being tugged while the hyenas slammed into him in turns. The baboon screeched, but wasn't able to defend himself against the three hyenas that flanked him at all angles. They closed him on him with their teeth gnashes together and ears shoved forward.

Mufasa jumped into action. He let out a roar as he thrust his paw against the nearest hyena. The hyena flew sideways and Mufasa felt a riveting feeling in his paw. He pinned his ears against his head before he extended his claws and raked them against the nearest hyena's cheek.

The hyena reared back before it snarled with his teeth bared as saliva dripped from it. "Get out of the Pride Lands," roared Mufasa.

Suddenly, a blur of pale fur flew through the air. Mufasa turned his head in time to see Sarabi land heavy on one of the hyenas. She let out a snarl as she sunk her teeth into the back of it's scruff and jumped off of him. He shook the hyena madly. She thrust him against the ground. The hyena struggled to his paws. He took a step and collapsed, his body slightly shaking.

The third hyena turned on the baboon once more. Mufasa was about to leap to protect him when the baboon stretched out a hand and thrust it against the hyena's nose. The hyena yelped in surprise as Mufasa reared on his hind legs and thrust them against the ground.

"Go and don't come back," snarled Mufasa. His lips peeled back to reveal his teeth with a hint of blood in them from the hyena's flesh.

The three hyenas clustered together. They shivered as they glanced up at Mufasa. They saw the burning anger in his eyes and hurried back toward their territory. Mufasa let out a breath to relax as he turned to stare at Sarabi. Admiration and affection surged over him.

"You-"

"Thank you," breathed the baboon as he walked over to Mufasa. He wrapped him in a hug and Mufasa froze in surprise. He didn't move until the baboon released him. "Thank you for saving my life. I am forever in your debt." He bowed to Mufasa.

Mufasa shook his head madly. "You don't need to bow to me. I'm not the king."

"Well, who is," questioned the baboon.

"I am."

They all turned to see Ahadi walking forward with Uru, Marfia, and Saourown. They emerged over the hill and plunged down toward Mufasa, Sarabi, and the baboon.

The baboon pulled away from Mufasa and walked over to Ahadi. "You must be the king," murmured the baboon as he bowed in greeting.

Ahadi narrowed his eyes. "I am. Now, what are you doing here? I know every creature on this territory and you're not one of them."

"I'm not from here. I was just passing through here," he explained.

"Why," pressed Ahadi.

The baboon looked around with wide eyes. "I come in search of knowledge and insight." He swung around and pointed at Mufasa. "I can tell that this lion has both of those. He's a natural leader."

Ahadi looked at him thoughtfully. He turned his attention to his son, who beamed in pride. He purred as he looked at the baboon. "You know a great deal. We don't have much on account of the drought, but how about you come back to our pride. Perhaps you'll find what you're looking for here."

"Thank you. Your generosity will not be forgotten, my king," the baboon told him with another bow.

Ahadi nodded slowly. "Now, what is your name?"

"Rafiki."