Chapter 30: Taking Care

"Well, Sarafina, it's nice to meet you. This is Mufasa and this is Abaku," introduced Sarabi gently. "I promise that we won't hurt you, alright? We just want to help you."

    Sarafina turned to look at both Abaku and Mufasa. She then turned back to Sarabi. "What happened," she rasped as she lifted a paw and brushed it over her dusty forehead.

    "Mufasa, get her some water soaked leaves," Abaku ordered. Mufasa turned and scurried out of the den wile he leaned toward Sarafina. "Mufasa and Sarabi found you. If they wouldn't have gotten there, then you would've been eaten by buzzards."

    Sarafina gulped heavily. She blinked at Sarabi in surprise. "You really did that, for me?"

    "I did," replied Sarabi gently.

    "Why?"

    "Because it looked like you needed some help," replied Sarabi as she settled down beside the slightly trembling lioness. "And I'm not one to just watch someone suffer when I know that I could help. So, where are you from?"

    Sarafina looked at her paws and sighed heavily. "I don't really remember. I just know that I can't go back. I promise that I'll leave as soon as I can." She stood shakily with pain flashing in her eyes.

    Sarabi rushed to press against her before she could fall. Sarabi whispered gently in her ear and eased her back down. "Easy. You don't have to go anywhere. We would be honored to have a lioness like you in our pride," she told her excitedly.

    Sarafina glanced upward as Abaku padded forward. He set down some herbs at Sarafina's paws. "Sarabi is right. You should stay with us."    

    She started to lap up the herbs as Mufasa returned with Uru and Ahadi. The king and queen looked down at Sarafina and Sarafina gulped before she rested her head on her paws. "Mom, Dad, this is Sarafina. Sarafina, this is Ahadi and Uru. They're the queen and king of the Pride Lands."

    "It's a pleasure to meet you," whispered Sarafina fearfully.

    Uru dipped her head in respect. "It's a pleasure to meet you too, Sarafina. I heard that you just collapsed near the watering hole. You poor thing!"

    Embarrassment flashed on Sarafina's face. "I should really go."

    "No," began Ahadi as he stepped in front of her. "You wouldn't last a heartbeat out there. Stay here for at least a while. I'm sure that everyone will make you feel comfortable."

    Sarafina curled her tail around her hind legs. "T-Thank you, sir."

    "No problem," meowed Ahadi as he padded from the den with Uru following. She winked to Sarabi before she bounded after her mate.

    "Was that a good sign," whispered Sarafina. She then started to lap at the leaves that Mufasa brought, dripping in water.

    Mufasa nodded eagerly. "Of course it was! Dad doesn't like just anyone. As long as you pull your weight when you're feeling better, you'll be bale to stay for as long as you want."

    "Thank you, all of you. I don't know how I could ever repay you for this," confessed Sarafina with relief shinning in her eyes.

    Sarabi lifted a paw and nudged Sarafina's shoulder. "It's our honor, I promise. We don't turn anyone else away if they need help. Now, get some rest. When you're stronger, I'll give you a complete tour of the Pride Lands."

    "Thank you, Sarabi," breathed Sarafina.

    Sarabi dipped her head before she turned and padded over to Mufasa. Mufasa licked her cheek. "Who knew that you could be so comforting and understanding?"

    "Hey, I'm kind," pointed out Sarabi.

    Mufasa butted is head against her shoulder. "Yeah, I know. It's just a nice reminder. It proves that you're going to be such a wonderful mother one day."

    "Is that so?"

    "I know so," exclaimed Mufasa as he gave her one more lick on the cheek. "You will be the best mother to our cubs, one day."