Chapter 36: Poison

Mufasa awoke in the middle of the night a moon later to loud moaning. He blinked his eyes to adjust to the light before he swung his head around and noticed that it came from his father's direction. He rose to his paws and noticed a few more lions were stirring around him.

"Why does it seem that we can't have any peaceful nights anymore," complained Arvarni as she lifted her head and gave it a much needed shake.

Mufasa ignored her as he padded over to his parents. Uru was awake as well and cradling Ahadi's head. Ahadi continued to moan as liquid began to run from the corner of his mouth, almost like foam. Mufasa wrinkled his nose at the stench. He just smelled sickly.

"What's wrong with him," gasped Mufasa as he kneeled beside his father.

Fear flashed on Uru's face. "I don't know. He just woke up like this and I can't calm him down. He also smells so sickly, like death!"

"Death," echoed Lilvani as she shook sleep from her eyes upon hearing what Uru had just said. "What about death?"

"Enough," chided Abaku as he padded forward quickly. He made his way over to Ahadi and sighed. "Everyone who isn't family, you need to leave!"

There were a few moans of protest since it's was the middle of the night. Sarabi easily convinced all of them to try to fall asleep outside like they did during the day. She helped everyone forward, including Maraan, Byrose, and Mincka. She cast one more glance at her mate before she headed out almost silently.

Mufasa watched Abaku smell Ahadi's breath. He pressed his ear against Mufasa's chest before he rested a paw against his throat. He watched the way Ahadi's eyes seemed to darker with each painful, labored breath. Liquid was still pooling from his seemingly closed mouth. His body was rigid and firm and Abaku could barely move him in any direction. Abaku leaned backwards and shook his head gravely.

"What's wrong," whimpered Uru.

Abaku shook his head. "I don't know. He's very, very sick. I just don't know why," he confessed hollowly.

Outrage filled Mufasa. He bared his teeth at the healer. "You're a healer! You have to help him, please," he begged breathlessly.

"I can't! I have no idea what's wrong with him, Mufasa. If I had to guess, I would say poisoning, but I can't tell you positively," Abaku replied with an annoyed flick of his tail. "I can't do anything for that."

Uru bowed her head and pressed it against his thick mane. "Don't leave me, please! I still need you, Ahadi! You can't leave your pride."

Mufasa was too stunned to speak. He still had his paws wrapped around his father's head delicately. He gulped as he glanced around as if waiting for Scar to come over and grieve with him. However, he was nowhere to be seen and Mufasa wasn't about to call for him.

"How long," croaked Uru.

Abaku shrugged. "I don't know, but I doubt that he'll make it into the morning if he's this sick," he confessed. "I may have something to help with his pain, though."

Uru nodded in appreciation as the healer made his way to his clefts. Mufasa lowered his head as tears filled his eyes. He had never felt this much pain before in his life. It was as if his heart was trying to escape from the inside. He squeezed his eyes almost shut as he continued to press against his father's forehead. His shoulders shook with silent sobs.

Uru glanced up at her son and walked over to him. She pressed against him and licked his cheek. "Shhh. Shhh. It's alright, little one."

"Where's Scar," Mufasa sniffed as he stole a glance.

Uru sighed. "I think that it's just you and me. That's okay. Scar hasn't forgiven Ahadi for what he did, concerning his name and all," she pointed out as she allowed her son to press fully against him.

Mufasa sniffed heavily once more as he lifted a paw and rub at his nose. "I don't want to loose him, Mother," he confessed.

"I know, Mufasa. I don't want anything to happen to him either, but I don't want him to be in pain either," she pointed out with a billowing sigh. "No one deserves to live in pain."

"This should help," broke in Abaku as he padded forward. He sat down a few herbs and began to chew them into a paste. Once he was finished, he spat it onto his paws and nodded to Mufasa. "Can you open his mouth. I'll see if I can get him to swallow."

Mufasa reluctantly complied. He opened his father's mouth painfully since his jaw seemed to be tensed. Mufasa waited as Abaku thrust the poultice through his mouth. Mufasa let go of his mouth while Abaku massaged his throat, urging him to swallow. Eventually, Ahadi did, but it didn't seem to help. Ahadi still sat there blankly, struggling to breathe while more liquid trickled from the corners of his mouth.

"That's all I can do," confessed Abaku gravely. "I think that it's time for you to start saying your goodbyes. I don't know how much longer he has."

Mufasa let out a whimper. Please don't do this to me! I can't loose him! Please, don't take him!

"Mufasa, it's time," whispered Uru. Tears streamed down her face as she lowered down. She kissed his cheek. "You meant the world to me, Ahadi. You gave me two sons and a wonderful life. I will love you forever until I one day will join you in the stars." She drew backwards and tried to blink the tears from her eyes.

Mufasa felt Uru and Abaku staring at him. He shook the uncomfortableness from his flank as he leaned down and pretended that he was alone with his father. "Dad, can you hear me?"

He received no response.

"You can't leave me yet. I'm not ready to run a kingdom on my own. I'm not ready!" He noticed that his voice had started to shrill and he tried to quiet himself for his mother's sake. "I love you, Dad. I don't want anything to happen to you. You have to get better, okay? You can join those kings that you told me about yet. You just can't! Dad!"

Uru bounded toward her son and rested her tail along his shoulders. "Shhh, little one. Come with me," she urged as she helped him lay down while grief seemed to burn between the two of them as they gazed at Ahadi. Uru nosed Mufasa warmly. "He loved you so much, Mufasa. He couldn't have been more proud of you. You have to know that."

    "I do," replied Mufasa as his throat seemed to close.

    Uru sighed heavily. "Ahadi always said that the circle of life connects us all. No one can live forever and in that, their memory will never truly be gone. My little one, he will always be with you. He will always be wit me. He who dies never truly leaves us."

    Mufasa felt himself press even firmer against his father. He felt his eyes begging to close while he listened to his father's pained and labored breathing. It wasn't long before both of them drifted off into peace.