Chapter 33: Rampage

Mufasa cleared the ravine just in time before he headed back over the watering hole. He was about halfway there when Zazu flew overhead. He flew down to Mufasa and fluttered almost over his head.

    "What do you want, Zazu," growled Mufasa hotly. Zazu's wings continued to batter at Mufasa's face and Mufasa snorted in disgust. "I'm trying to get somewhere!"

    "That's what I wanted to tell you," replied Zazu, just as frantic as Mufasa. He flew almost in front of Mufasa's face so Mufasa turned to duck his head around Zazu to see around him. "Taka is in trouble. He's being attacked by Boma's followers!"

    Mufasa picked up the pace. I'm coming, Taka!

    Zazu finally flew over Mufasa's head while Mufasa picked up the pace. He surged over to the watering hole and saw numerous cape buffalo trampling around Taka. Taka roared on shock and pain as Mufasa saw him taking blow after blow.

    Mufasa let out a roar that was accompanied by his father's roar. Mufasa nearly jumped out of his skin as his father darted past him. Mufasa shook his head to clear it as he took off after him. His claws churned at the ground fearfully as he continued forward. He lunged for one of the first buffalo with his teeth bared. He threw himself protectively over his bother, who laid unmoving at his paws.

    Ahadi snarled as well and the buffalo started to draw away almost instantly. Ahadi bared his teeth until the buffalo were far enough away. "This watering hole is not yours and it will never be yours! Now, leave," he roared so loud that the ground seemed to shake under them.

    There were soft murmurs as Mufasa kneeled down beside his brother. Blood coated is flank and turned his usual darker brown fur, bright crimson. Mufasa noticed that his eye was swollen shut while his chest barely rose and fell with each ragged breath.

    Ahadi came up beside his son with worry clear on his face. He rested a paw against the side of his neck before he straightened. "We need to get him home," announced Ahadi as he glanced around. His gaze landed on an elephant, who stood beside a slightly smaller female elephant and a baby elephant.

    "Buhrow, will you please take my son to Pride Rock," requested Ahadi.

    The male elephant slightly bowed his head before he took a few steps forward. He lowered down beside Taka and easily lifted him up with his tusks. He swung around a bit before he walked forward slower with his trunk partially sweeping around.

    Ahadi padded over to Mufasa and touched a nose to his ear. "Are you alright," he breathed.

    "Y-Yeah," stammered Mufasa. He swallowed to try and quell his shaking voice, but it didn't help much. His body was trembling as well. He couldn't help but lean against his father to halt his shaking.

    Ahadi sensed his son's fear. He nosed him gently. "You did well. You probably saved your brother and Rafiki's life. You will make such a good king one day."

    "I don't know. Something about this doesn't seem right," confessed Mufasa. He worked his claws against the ground impatiently.

    Ahadi nodded. "I agree. But, we won't know anything until Taka wakes up. The only thing that we can do is keep our pride moving as smoothly as possible through this. Do you think that you can help me do this, Mufasa?"

    "Yes, sir," announced Mufasa quickly.

    Ahadi lifted a paw and cuffed Mufasa's ear. "Very good. Now, let's go home."