Chapter 26: Mates

It was another moon before Mufasa was allowed out of Pride Rock. Abaku seemed reluctant even then to allow him out. However, Sarabi could make a case when she wanted to.

    That was how Sarabi found herself leading Mufasa toward the watering hole. It was a slight hike, but it was the best that Sarabi could do. She needed to hunt and that was the easiest place to find prey these days was always at the waterin hole.

    "So, you ask me on this long walk and beg about it every day until Abaku finally lets you go and now you don't say a word. What's going on," questioned Sarabi gently. "Is your head bothering you?"

    Mufasa thought for a moment before he gave his head a little shake. "It stopped hurting a while ago. I just was thinking about something. I guess nerves are getting the best of me."

    "Nerves," echoed Sarabi in shock. "About what? If you're nervous about getting into the groove of things again, then I can help you. I'm sure that everyone will help you. I mean, Arvarni is an excellent stalker while Mother's leaps are wonderful. Dorvro has the power to bring down any prey and-"

    "It's not about that," interrupted Mufasa before Sarabi could continue. "Not even close."

    Sarabi swayed a bit as she walked as she tried to figure out something else to play. "Okay, then. What could it possibly be?"

    Mufasa sighed as he met Sarabi's gaze. "I was actually nervous about talking to you."

    "Me? Why me? You talk to me all the time," pointed out Sarabi as she scoffed. She rubbed her head against his shoulder playfully. "Why should this time be any different?"

    Mufasa stopped to think for a moment. He then halted and Sarabi did the same. She blinked in surprise at him before he met her gaze fearfully and excitedly.

    "Sarabi, from the moment I first met you, I knew that you were something special. You are so compassionate, sweet, and funny. Not to mention you don't fall for any of Taka's antics. You're one of the best hunters in the pride and you fight hard for everything that you have."

    "As flattering as this is, could you please get to the point," requested Sarabi as she flicked her paw forwards.

    Mufasa nodded. "When you first fell into that hole when you were hunting and I had to fish you out, I knew that I loved you. You were so beautiful and smart and the way that you would risk your life for your pride is admirable. I know that you have to feel the same way about it because of the way that you've taken care of me and-"

    "Easy," chided Sarabi affectionately as she nuzzled him. "Spit it out. You're rambling."

    "Sarabi, you have already stood by me as my bet friend. I want to know if you would now stand by me as my mate and next queen of the Pride Lands," questioned Mufasa with his head leaping into his throat.

    Sarabi was taken aback for a moment. She thought for a moment before a wide grin spread on her face. "Mufasa, I have wanted this for a long time. Of course I'll be your mate," she exclaimed as she leaned forward and touched her forehead against his. The two of them stood there for a moment, pressed against each other and purring softly in affection.

    The two of them purred before Sarabi pulled her head away and rubbed her cheek against his thick mane and shoulder. Mufasa rested his head on Sarabi's shoulder and savored the moment before they heard yowling coming toward them.

    Sarabi straightened and narrowed her eyes as Marfia bounded toward tem. She pulled completely away from Mufasa before she glanced up in surprise. "Marfia, what's going on?"

    "I'm sorry to interrupt, but it's Maraan! She's having her kits and she wants you there," Marfia announced, slightly breathless.

    Shock showed in Sarabi's gaze as she shook her head to clear it and turned to Mufasa. "Let's go!"