Chapter 3: Hostility

They arrived home by dusk where Uru was anxiously waiting for them. She paced beside Lilvina, while her sister tried to comfort her with soothing words. Pikra groomed Sarabi and Authrua in turn while the two she-cubs tried to wrestle with each other. Pikra growled softly at them to stop, and they would for a few moments, before they ended up wrestling again, purring and battering at themselves.

    Abaku groomed Maraan. The blind lioness was slightly sprawled while her gaze darting around while trying to catch the hints of shadows. Abaku murmured softly into her hear while Marfia spoke to no one in particular about hunting parties and different techniques that she had learned as a young cub.

    When Ahadi, Mufasa, and Taka rose to greet them, Uru pelted forward. She touched her nose to her mate's, before she moved to her sons' in turn. "I was so worried when you left and didn't tell me and for so long," gasped Uru as she lapped at Mufasa's dusty fur. "And you're so dirty! Where did you go?"

    "Calm down," chided Ahadi as he pressed against his mate's side. He intertwined his tail with hers and allowed her to rub her head against his broad shoulder. "I just took them out to explore the territory."

    "Are you two too good for us now," asked Authrua as she waltzed over. She lowered into a playful crouch with her eyes fixed on Taka. "Did you learn real battle moves?"

    Before Taka could lower down, Mufasa beat him to it. He faced Authrua and clicked his teeth together. "You wish!" With that he leaped for her and the two cubs went rolling. Mufasa managed to pin Authrua under his paws, but Authrua was as quick and agile as a snake. She arched her back and snapped her head against his shoulder. He let out a yelp of surprise before Authrua managed to flip onto his underbelly and slither out of his reach. Her tail gave a final flick onto his nose and he blinked his eyes to control the itch. Authrua leaped back to him and managed to thrust him aside easily. This time, Mufasa didn't fight back. He went limp at Authrua's paws, panting in the aftermath.

    Authrua let out a purr before Ahadi nudged him from his paws. She scampered over to Sarabi with a boast clear on her lips. "I beat the future king," she whispered.

    "You must learn how to defend yourself better than that," chided Ahadi in shock at his son. "You can't let a lioness cub beat you."

    Mufasa tilted his head as he rose to his paws. "But, we were just playing. I'll get her next time," he reassured as he sat up. He started to lap at his chest to clean it before Ahadi thrust a paw against the ground, jolting him in surprise.

    "You must learn how to fight! You can't just expect loss in every battle. You must never concede to defeat," announced Ahadi loudly.

    Uru rested her tail tip on his shoulder gingerly. "Ahadi, that's enough for one day. It's getting late and rain is in the sky," she announced with her head tilted backwards as she tasted the air for rain.

    Ahadi reluctantly turned away from the pride and headed into Pride Rock. Mufasa relaxed ever so slightly as Uru nudged him. "There is nothing wrong with loss. It is a way to teach us how we need to learn to be better. A lion who never lost a battle, is hardly a lion at all."

    Mufasa tilted his head before he shook his head. "I'l learn to fight so that I can make father proud," he announced excitedly with his chest puffed out ever so slightly.

    Uru sighed heavily before she lowered her head and brushed it against Taka's shoulder. "Come on, little one. Are you hungry? I think that there's some leftovers from the zebra that they caught."

    Mufasa stayed where he was as Marfia walked forward. The elderly lioness had ribs jutting out of her at every angle. Her paws were no longer as focused as they had been and she had trouble walking. "What is going on with you? I sense a troubled spirit."

    "I'm not troubled," he argued stiffly.

    There was a snort from Sarabi as she drew near. "He's worried about his father since he's putting so much pressure on him!"

    "All parents have their favorites," murmured Marfia thoughtfully. She turned milky eyes toward the darkening sigh. She lifted a paw and drew it over one of her ears. "He has great plans for you, little one. You just need to patient and live up to their expectations."

    Sarabi shook his head. "I don't think that-"

    "I'll try," interrupted Mufasa. He sent an apologetic glance at Sarabi, but Sarabi was already following her mother and sister into the heart of Pride Rock.

    I didn't mean to hurt her feelings. Sarabi is just so sensitive! Maybe I can try to talk to her tomorrow and apologize, Mufasa thought as he padded forward slowly and into Pride Rock.

    He headed to the nest that he shared with his family. He climbed in next to Taka, but as soon as their fur touched, Taka pulled away. He slightly hissed under his breath and scuffled closer to their mother with his eyes slightly flashing toward his brother.

    Mufasa wrinkled his nose in disgust before he rested his head back on his paws at the opposite end of the nest. His eyes started to close as he fell into a deep sleep.