Chapter 13: Use

Mufasa walked back to Pride Rock with Rafiki on one side and Sarabi on the other. He allowed Sarabi to lean ever so slightly against him when she had trouble. They both listened intently to every word that Rafiki said.

"And that is how I stopped a hippo from getting into a disagreement with an elephant," Rafiki finished when they made their way toward the great structure that was Pride Rock. "Is this where you all live?"

"The one and only, Pride Rock," announced Sarabi with an amused twitch of her whiskers. "You'll get used to it, I promise."

With that, Sarabi started to scale the structure. Her claws sunk into the rocks as she struggled to haul herself up. Mufasa gave her a small nudge to her haunch before she was able to scramble the rest of the way up to the base of Pride Rock. Mufasa followed while Rafiki scrambled after them.

Most of the pride was waiting on the base of the rock besides Pikra. The rest of them looked at Rafiki in surprise. Rafiki stood tall beside Mufasa with his eyes proud.

"Who is that," growled Maduro. The lame lion rarely came out of the den on account of his limp. His eyes narrowed at Rafiki.

Mufasa stood in front of Rafiki protectively. "This is Rafiki. I saved him from hyenas," Mufasa announced proudly.

There was a low growl as Taka forced his paws toward his brother. He wrinkled his nose as he glared at Rafiki. "You should've let the hyenas take him. He seems like a worthy snack."

Rafiki was about to leap forward when Mufasa stepped forward. "Back off, Taka! He is my friend. Why don't you go do something useful?"

Taka slithered away with his head lowered into his shoulders and claws extended. He prowled around Mufasa before he padded over to Maduro and laid down beside him. They kept their gazes firmly placed on Rafiki in case he made a move.

"Is he always that direct," whispered Rafiki in Mufasa's ear.

Mufasa shrugged. "He just gets angry because my father favors me over him. His taunting is harmless, though. He won't actually attack or anything," he reassured quickly.

Rafiki snickered. "I wouldn't think so. I have a nasty bite myself."

Sarabi purred in amusement as she padded around to Mufasa's side. "I'm going to check on my mother," she whispered out of earshot of everyone else.

Mufasa dipped his head as Sarabi disappeared into the dark den. Mufasa watched her before his head turned to find Rafiki standing nearly muzzle to muzzle with him. Mufasa drew back before Rafiki pointed to the den. "You like her, don't you? Now where is she going?"

Mufasa ignored Rafiki's first question and moved onto the second. "Sarabi's sister died a half moon ago from Hunger Sickness," he explained lowly. "Her mother isn't taking it well. She's nearly grieved herself to death. At least, that's what our healer, Abaku says."

"Well, might I have a look at her and see what I find," Rafiki requested as he hopped toward the entrance of the den slowly.

Mufasa tilted his head before he padded after him quietly. "Stop! Don't go in there. We're supposed to like Pikra rest," he hissed urgently.

"I just want to have a look at her," answered Rafiki over his shoulder. He scooted forward, despite Mufasa's efforts to deter him and guide him in another direction.

Rafiki made his way over to Sarabi. She laid sprawled by Pikra's side. She lapped at her mother's flank in an effort to calm her down. Pikra didn't move or even speak to her daughter. She just let out low moans and groans while trying to mutter her daughter's name.

Sarabi looked up as soon as Rafiki came over. A growl rolled in her throat as she faced Mufasa. "Can't you keep him outside? She doesn't need this right now."

"I tried," argued Mufasa as he walked over to her gravely. "I'm sorry, but he wouldn't listen. I was worried and-"

"It's okay," Sarabi interrupted. She rose into a sitting position and brushed her shoulder against his. "If he can help her even sleep it'll be worth it. She won't remember anything anyway."

Mufasa and Sarabi watched as Rafiki danced around Pikra. He gazed at her and felt her thin flank. He hummed to I himself before he drew back and glanced back at them. "I think that I can help her."

"How," exclaimed Sarabi as she rushed forward. She cast a glance at her mother with tears threatening to fall from her eyes. "I can't stand seeing her like this."

"I'll be right back. Keep her still until then," Rafiki announced as he skipped out of the den quickly.

The two of them watched him go in surprise. Mufasa swung his head over to Sarabi and Sarabi shrugged in surprise. "I really hope that he can help her," whispered Sarabi as she padded back over to her mother. She laid down and pressed her flank against hers.

Mufasa settled down beside the two of them and glanced at Pikra. The once energetic mother hardly moved anymore. There was no food to go around, but she would always refuse anything if it was brought to her.

I really hope that Rafiki can help her a little. I don't like seeing Sarabi so scared, Mufasa thought as he pressed a little more against her flank when he felt a shiver.

Mufasa wasn't sure how long he was laying there when Rafiki stepped in. He held a few fruits to his chest as he continued forward. He set them in front of them as Mufasa and Sarabi rose to their paws. "What is that," asked Sarabi in surprise.

"One of the oldest fruits on the Pride Lands," answered Rafiki as he started to peel it. He tore out a chunk of dripping reddish fruit with slight strings attached on it. He glanced at Pikra before he looked to Sarabi. "Can I give this to her?"

Sarabi gulped thickly before she nodded. "A-Alright," she stammered.

    Rafiki easily parted Pikra's jaws and placed the small piece of fruit into her mouth. He clamped the mouth shut before he massaged her throat. Pikra tried to spit it out, but Rafiki clamped her mouth down harder. Her head started to thrash, but Rafiki murmured soothing words in her ears until the jerking tampered off. He felt her swallow and released her.

    Rafiki lifted his hands and nodded to the two of them. "That should help her. Just give her some time to rest and see if you see a difference," he told them.

    Sarabi rose to her paws and leaned forward. She touched her nose to Rafiki's ear. "Thank you, Rafiki," she purred loudly.

    Rafiki lifted an arm and wrapped it around her neck, patting her shoulder comfortingly. "You're quite welcome, little one. I think that I'm going to be of some use here."