Chapter 31: Settling Conflicts

Sarabi awoke a few mornings later to Mufasa stirring beside her. She rolled onto her back and looked up to him. "Mufasa, where are you going?"

    "Out hunting with Taka and Ahadi," replied Mufasa softly. He lowered his head so that his mane fell over Sarabi's face. "Go back to sleep. It's just the three of us. You can sleep in after taking Sarafina on that tour yesterday. You've earned it."

    Sarabi lifted a paw and pressed it against Mufasa's cheek. "Are you sure," she whispered tiredly, her eyes already beginning to close.

    Mufasa dipped his head. "I promise," he replied as he allowed Sarabi to drift back off to sleep. He purred as he licked her cheek before he headed out. He was careful not to step on anyone's paws, tail, or mane as he headed out into the budding dawn that warmed his fur.

    Ahadi padded out after his son. He stopped beside him and flicked his head over to Mufasa. Mufasa noticed his father watching him and turned to glance at him. "What are you looking at? Do I have something in my mane?" He lifted a paw and started to run his claws through his thick mane.

    "You just look so grown. One day you're going to be as handsome as your old man. I guess you don't need that," pointed out Ahadi good naturally. "I mean, you already have Sarabi. Honestly, I could've seen that happening from when you two were young. You two were inseparable."

    Mufasa shifted his paws uncomfortably. He opened his mouth, but before he could, Taka stumbled out. His pathetic mane was slightly ruffled while he stumbled over his paws. He shook his head to clear it before he staggered over to his father and brother.

    Ahadi narrowed his eyes. "Late again, Taka."

    "Sorry, I overslept," he squeaked. He cleared his throat as he struggled to meet his father's furious gaze.

    Ahadi nodded slowly. "Yeah, okay. How about you two start off and I'll catch up with you in a little bit once I organize a patrol."

    Mufasa glanced at his brother and swallowed a groan. I don't want to hunt alone with Taka. Taka can barely hunt because he hardly practices whatsoever. I wish that I could just be with Sarabi. She actually helps me hunt.

    "Fine, let's go, Taka," growled Mufasa as he padded forward, but not before he thumped his head against Taka's shoulder firmly.

    Taka stumbled against his brother and reluctantly followed him down the rockface. Mufasa picked up the pace while Taka struggled to keep up. Taka bounded forward while Mufasa continued forward with his paws thundering against the ground.

    "Can't you slow down," pleaded Taka.

    Mufasa growled and glanced over his shoulder. "Can't you walk faster," called Mufasa with a roll of his eyes.

    Taka snorted in rage as he pelted forward. He tried to slam into Mufasa's shoulder, but Mufasa drew back just in time while Taka stumbled over his own paws and landed on his head. He snarled in agony as he rolled back onto his paws. Mufasa snorted in amusement as he continued forward, shaking his head from side to side.

    It was a moment later when Taka made his way to his brother's side once more. "Look, I need to do something before we start. I'll be right back. Meet you at the watering hole!"

    Mufasa's head spun as his brother ditched him quickly. He let out a roar of fury. "Taka! Taka!"

    Taka didn't answer or so much as turn. Mufasa thrust a paw against the ground in frustration before he stormed over in the direction of the watering hole. "I should've just asked Sarabi or Uru to come with me. That sounds a lot better than being led around by my failure of a brother."

    He was just about to pass the watering hole and walk away when he heard a commotion from the watering hole. He longed to walk away from it, but the king in him wouldn't allow it. He plastered his ears against his head as he stormed forward. Why does everything always happen at the watering hole?!

    Mufasa surged forward and came to the watering hole. He froze when he saw a herd of water buffalo, as well as their leader, Boma, in the heart of the watering hole. Whenever any other animal would come anywhere close, they would bellow and snap at anyone who came close. Mufasa narrowed his gaze as a water buffalo charged at a cheetah cub. The nearest water buffalo lunged for it before it's mother surged forward and pulled her cub back before it could get trampled.

    "What is going on here," growled Mufasa as he took a step forward.

    The rest of the animals drew back to allow Mufasa some space. Boma turned to look at him with his black eyes dark in fury. "Mufasa, prince of the Pride Lands. Just the lion that I'm looking for."

    "Boma, you can't take up the entire watering hole. This is for animals to drink in, not to bathe. That's for the rivers down the way. You shouldn't be here, terrorizing them," Mufasa growled in the same no nonsense tone that he had gotten from his father. At least, he hoped that he sounded like his father.

    Boma lowered is head to reveal his horns. "Don't make this any more difficult than it needs to be," he announced as he stamped his hoof against the ground and it showered Mufasa's fur.   
    Mufasa shook his head. "I can't do that, Boma. Leave, please."

    "Prince!"

    Mufasa spun around to see Rafiki darting forward. He came to Mufasa's shoulder and gasped for breath. "We have to go, now!"

    "What," Mufasa began.

    Suddenly, a roar sounded from behind Boma. Boma's eyes widened before he pelted forward, right for Rafiki and Mufasa.