Chapter 19: Future

Mufasa and Sarabi walked back toward Pride Rock, side by side. Their parents were in front of them with a few lionesses behind them. They didn't speak. They didn't need to. Mufasa stayed close enough to Sarabi so that she felt his presence, but wasn't overbearing.

    They arrived home when dark clouds hung in the sky and lightning struck trees in the distance. Thunder rolled and shook the ground beneath them. The wind howled like African Wild Dogs during mating season. The ground started to become muddy underpaw and slippery almost at once.

    "I'm glad the drought is over, but I still don't like rain," complained Sarabi as she struggled to climb onto Pride Rock. Mufasa stayed behind her with his shoulders tensed, ready to catch her. Sarabi pulled herself the rest of the way up with Mufasa following.

    They arrived at the top of Pride Rock and Mufasa's attention turned to Taka. He laid near the entrance of the cave with his paws sprawled in front of them as he roomed them. He glanced up as Mufasa approached, before quickly looking away and muttering something under his breath.

    "Just a moment," Mufasa whispered to Sarabi before he padded forward. He stopped beside his brother with his eyes narrowed.

    "What do you want," Taka asked without even looking up.

    Mufasa thrust a paw down on the ground, next to Taka's shoulder. Taka jumped in surprise. "You reek of prey! I can smell it on your breath!"

    "So," he inquired with a twitch of his ear in indifference.

    Mufasa bared his teeth until Taka finally looked at him. "You know the law! We share what we catch, no matter how small. We give to those who can't hunt as well. Did you offer anything to Maraan?"

    "The deaf lioness? If she can't hunt for herself, then that's her own fault. Besides, her family can take care of her," he pointed out. He licked his paw and drew it over his ear. He set his paw back down slowly.

    Mufasa stretched out his own paw and thrust it over his. Taka hissed in annoyance, but Mufasa kept his paw over there firmly. "We're a pride and that means that we're a family. Honestly, Taka. How can you not even care," Mufasa seethed.

    Taka rushed to his paws and bared his teeth in a snarl. "You think that I'm afraid of you," he breathed, his prey rich breath hot on Mufasa's muzzle. "I'll go claw to claw with you right now." His gaze shifted to where Sarabi was staring at them in fear and horror with her tail curled around her paws. "But, I'd rather not do this in front of Sarabi."

    "Since when do you care about Sarabi," Mufasa questioned, a scoff clear in his mew.

    Taka leaned forward to whisper in his brother's ears. "Wouldn't you like to know?"

    Mufasa was about to leap forward when he felt something on his shoulder. He turned, expecting to find Sarabi, but instead he saw Maraan. The lionesses's eyes were deep blue and gleamed like the watering hole in the morning before the romping of animals polluted it. Mufasa had never heard her speak, but she was always watching quite intently. It was as if she understood more than they gave her credit for.

    She started to steer Mufasa away from Taka. She lanced at Taka and slightly peeled back her lips to reveal her teeth. That was enough for Taka to back off almost immediately.

    Maraan continued to nudge Mufasa back into the den as the storm started to pick up outside. Sarabi scrambled after them and pressed against Mufasa's side. "Do you think that the ancestors brought the rain because you risked your life to save me?"

    "I think that the clouds just decided that it was time for rain," Mufasa answered as Maraan continued to beckon them forward with her tail hopefully.

    The two picked up the pace before Maraan hunkered down. The two of them stopped before Maraan stretched out a paw and grasped Sarabi's. Sarabi looked at Mufasa questioningly before he nodded. Sarabi forced herself to relax as Maraan rested Sarabi's paw on her underbelly. Sarabi stood there for a moment before she let out a small squeak and jump backwards.

    "What's wrong," Mufasa gasped.
    Sarabi shook out her fur as a purr rolled in his throat. "Nothing's wrong. I can feel cubs moving around in there!"

    "Cubs," echoed Mufasa. He staggered ever so slightly wit his head shaking in an effort to clear himself. He sat down before he fell down with his eyes flashing.

    Sarabi snorted in amusement while Maraan smiled. She rested her own paws on her underbelly with pleasure sinning in her gaze. "To think that the future king is afraid of a few unborn kits."

    "I'm not afraid," croaked Mufasa.

    Sarabit looked over Maraan. The two she-cats exchanged amused chatter before Sarabi nodded to Mufasa. "It's alright. It can be all three of our secrets," she whispered with a paw brought up to her muzzle, slightly giggling.

    Mufasa and Sarabi chuckled while Maran slightly nuzzled her underbelly with her muzzle. Sarabi saw her and instantly stretched out a paw and rested it on her shoulder. "We'll leave you to rest. Congratulations, Maraan," Sarabi whispered as she rose to her paws.

    Mufasa dipped his head to Marann. He then walked over to his nest and found Sarabi following. He twitched in his whiskers in amusement as he settled down. Sarabi met his gaze and shook out her fur. "Do you mind if I sleep here? I'm just a little jumpy still and-"

    "It's not a problem," interrupted Mufasa proudly as he touched his nose to her ear and found that she was indeed trembling. "Come here."

    Sarabi let out a heavy breath and settled beside him. Mufasa pressed against her and felt her begin to relax. Mufasa started to groom Sarabi's fur and pull the dirt and grit from her fur. It was silent for a while until Mufasa interrupted.

    "Do you want cubs?"

    "What," interrupted Sarabi in surprise.

    Mufasa gulped as heat rose into his face. "I just mean one day. Have you ever thought about having cubs," he recovered quickly.

    Sarabi let out a heavy breath. She rested her head on her paws and shrugged. "I suppose that I've thought about it. I want cubs eventually, but I haven't thought that much about it. How about you?"

    "Well, I guess so," replied Mufasa with a twitch of his whiskers. He rested his head on his paws and yawned heavily. "Forget that I mentioned it."

    Sarabi leaned forward and touched her nose to Mufasa's cheek. "Maybe one day," she whispered gently.

    Mufasa felt a flutter in his chest. What am I getting myself into?