Chapter 29: Helping Others

Sarabi awoke early the next morning, used to either going on a dawn patrol or a hunting party. She yawned before she lifted her paw and rested it against Mufasa's mane. Mufasa moaned ever so slightly as he turned. "Sarabi, please."

    "No, we have to get home. We didn't tell anyone that we left. We don't want anyone to worry about us," Sarabi pointed out as she pushed her head against Mufasa's shoulder in an effort to push him upward.

    Mufasa rolled against her and playfully lifted a paw and pressed it against her chest. Sarabi purred as he leaned forward and touched her nose to his. "We can do this again some other time, my love. We need to contribute just as before," she pointed out.

    Mufasa reached a paw around her neck and brought her close. He licked her cheek before he loosened his grip and leaped forward with his paws landing gingerly beside Sarabi. Sarabi shook out her slightly soggy fur from their swim the night prior and followed him. This time her paws were more deliberate now that she could actually see where she was going. She led Mufasa when the undergrowth grew thicker and more challenging to walk through side by side.

    They emerged into the sweltering savannah and Sarabi instantly began to pant. "It's sweltering out here," she breathed.

    "Want to head to the watering hole before we head home," Mufasa suggested as he shook out his fur and panted heavily.

    Sarabi nodded. "Sounds good," she replied as she changed ther course toward the watering hole.

    They hadn't gotten too far when Mufasa noticed buzzards begin to flutter around. Mufasa tilted his head before he looked over to Sarabi. "What's going on over there," he asked.

    Sarabi shrugged as she started to jog over to it. "We'll never know unless we we actually we investigate it," she pointed out as she started forward without waiting for Mufasa to follow.

    She hissed at the buzzards as they landed beside her. They instantly squawked and flew away, not wanting to come anywhere near Sarabi. Sarabi snorted before she noticed a young lioness laying in the burning savannah. It only took Sarabi a moment to realize that this lioness didn't belong to their pride.

    "Who is this," asked Mufasa as he came up beside Sarabi. He wrinkled his nose at the young lionesses in front of them.

    Sarabi tilted her head. "I don't know. Is this still alive?"

    Mufasa padded forward. He stretched out his paw and hung it over the lioness's muzzle. He felt hot breath slightly billow from her nostrils. He set his paw down and shook out his mane. "She's still alive, but barely. We need to bring her back and have Abaku or Rafiki look at her," he suggested.

    Sarabi nodded as she leaned forward. She sunk her teeth into the lioness's scruff. The lioness slightly moaned, but didn't open her eyes. She easily threw her onto Mufasa's shoulders. She's so skinny, Sarabi thought. We weighs almost nothing! She's so sick. I hope that we can help her.

    "Come on. We'll have to wait for the watering hole another day," mumbled Mufasa as he slightly stumbled under the lioness, even though she weighed less than a piece of prey.

    Sarabi's eyes shone in fear. She crept over to him in concern. "Do you need me to take some of her weight," she offered.

    Mufasa growled. "I'm fine."

    Sarabi dropped it as she followed him with fear still showing on her face. She shook her head to clear it as she kept right beside him. Mufasa staggered a few times and Sarabi had to stop herself from interfering. She set her jaw in frustration and followed while swallowing a sigh. She didn't say anything until they finally arrived back at Pride Rock.

    "What do we have here," a voice suddenly rasped.

    Sarabi looked around before she noticed Maduro limp down the rockface over to him. "Who is this," he repeated curiously.

    Sarabi stood in front of Maduro and nudged him forward. She pressed her muzzle against his spine to steer him around. "Come on, Maduro. Lets give Mufasa and this lioness some space," ordered Sarabi.

    The lame lion grunted as he limped forward with his lame leg almost dragging. Sarabi headed up after him while Mufasa struggled to carry the lioness.

    They finally arrived at the top where most of the lionesses who weren't on patrol were lounging around. "Abaku," Sarabi called.

    The older healer rose back to his paws and bounded forward. He instantly turned to Mufasa and sniffed at the lioness's breath. "Where did you find her?"

    "She was almost to the watering hole with buzzards swarming around her. I knew that you could help her," breathed Mufasa tiredly.

    "I'll do my best. Bring her in," announced Abaku as he headed in with Sarabi at his side.

    Sarabi caught sight of Maraan as she curled around Byrose and Mincka. She glanced up at Sarabi passed while her whiskers twitched upon seeing the lioness on Mufasa's shoulder. Sarabi nodded to her comfortingly as she passed.

    They made their way into Abaku's den. Abaku snored a bit as she tried to skirt the dried herbs away so that Mufasa could lay the lioness down. "I'm sorry it's so unorganized over here. There's been a lot of things happening around ere," he confessed.

    "It's alright. I think that I've been here more in the past moon than ever before," Sarabi pointed out as she helped Mufasa lower down and coax the lioness from his shoulders.

    Abaku glanced at Sarabi affectionately. "I won't take that personally."

    "Shut your muzzle," spat Sarabi jokingly before she started to lap at the lioness's cheek to cool her down.

    Abaku padded over to his stores and started to pull numerous herbs and set them on the ground. Just as he was about to come back, the lioness gasped and sat up. Her eyes widened in horror while her body shook in terror while she panted heavily.

    "Easy, it's okay," chided Sarabi as she took a step toward the lioness.

    The lioness's eyes flashed. "W-Who are you," she stammered in horror.

    Sarabi's eyes softened. She smiled gently as she sat down and nodded slowly. "My name is Sarabi. What's your name?" The lioness pressed her lips together. "I promise that it's okay. I'm not going to hurt you. We just want to help you and that starts with knowing who you are."

    The lioness managed a tiny nod, fear still clear in her gaze. "Sarafina. My name is Sarafina."