Chapter 21: Prosperity Into Worry

They managed to drag the zebra to the base of Pride Rock as the rest of the sleepy lionesses padded down the rockface. They scraped down tiredly, but they instantly picked up the pace when they scented the zebra. They bounded forward with excitement showing on their faces. 

    "Is that what I think it is," breathed Ahadi as he traveled down the slope with Maraan right behind him. "We haven't seen a zebra like this in moons."

    "It was Mufasa's doing," boasted Arvarni as she started to tear a few chunks from the creature and passing it out to those who were already down, patiently waiting. "He planned everything and participated."

    Mufasa started to lap at his chest in embarrassment as his eyes shone. "It was a group effort. I couldn't have done it without everyone."

    "He's so modest," boasted Pikra as Rafiki walked down the rockface behind her. "He will make such a noble king one day."

    Taka let out a snort as he walked around Rafiki with anger burning in his gaze. He marched over to the zebra and took his own chunk from the zebra's shoulder. It was much larger than the bits that Arvarni was giving out. Arvarni spun around and opened her mouth to chide him, then thought better of it. She clamped her jaw closed after a moment with her eyes narrowed as she continued her work.

    Taka broke away from the group and sat by himself. He started to tear the flesh loudly and chew it noisily. He ate quickly while the rest of the group was still receiving their prey.

    "Mufasa, want to share," offered Sarabi as she padded forward.

    Mufasa nodded as he walked over with her. Sarabi dragged the prey forward before the two of them settled down together with their fur brushing. Sarabi tore into the prey and swallowed a few mouthfuls. "This is the best prey that I've had since I was born!"

    "I'm glad that you're enjoying it," Mufasa rumbled as he brushed his cheek against hers.

    Sarabi looked at him in surprise just as Mufasa bent down for another bite. She gave her pelt a shake as she matched his bite and pulled more flesh from the bone.

    Everyone ate in silence before a squawk rose up. Mufasa's head lifted, his ear twitching. He knew that call anywhere.

    Zazu.

    The hornbill flew overhead and stopped at Mufasa's side. "Sire!"

    "I'm not the sire," mumbled Mufasa as he swallowed a mouthful and flicked his paw over to his father, who ate beside his mother. "He is."

    Zazu hopped over to him and stopped in front of Ahadi. "Sire!"

    Ahadi narrowed his eyes. He lifted a paw and rubbed it against his chomps before he lowered forward. "What are you doing here?"

    "I bring urgent news. Zuzu, the majordomo...." He trailed off as he composed himself. "My mother, is dead."

    Grief passed over Ahadi as he slowly rose to his paws. Uru did the same as she pressed against her mate and rubbed her muzzle into his nick mane. "I'm so sorry," she breathed.

    "May I see her one last time," requested Ahadi as he lowered down to Zazu.

    Zazu nodded vigorously, hopping to different spaces in front of Ahadi in nervousness. "Of course, Sire. I'll lead you there," he offered as he took off once more, his wings fluttering madly.

    Ahadi touched his nose to Uru's head. "I'll be back my love," he told her before he took off after Zazu. He bounded through the savannah and disappeared through the tall grasses.

    "Who will be the majordomo now," questioned Sarabi. She pushed the prey away from her as Mufasa continued to chomp on it.

    "I'm guessing Zazu," replied Mufasa. He started to lap at the bone when the meat had been stripped from the hip bone.

    Sarabi let out a low murmur of agreement. She settled down beside Mufasa and let out a heavy breath. Mufasa pressed against her and was about to drift off when his gaze wandered to the space where his brother had been sleeping. He narrowed his eyes before he noticed that Taka wasn't there. His obnoxiously large chunk of prey was still there, but he was gone.

    "Hey, where'd Taka go," he whispered.

    Sarabi groaned as she rolled onto her back and allowed the sun to warm her pelt. She let out a sleepy yawn. "I don't know. I'm not his keeper."

    "Neither am I, but it's a little strange that he would just disappear when Dad....."

    Sarabi sensed the tension in the air. She opened one eye and saw Mufasa sitting with his mouth partially open and terror on his face. "Mufasa?"

    "I gotta go," he announced with his paws almost pacing around each other and claws digging into the ground.

    Horror showed on Sarabi's face. "Mufasa?"

    "I'm sorry! I have to go," Mufasa replied as he touched his nose to her ear, just like Ahadi had done to his mother. "I-I'll be back."

    "Mufasa!"

    "I'm sorry," yowled Mufasa over his shoulder before he pelted forward without another word.