Chapter 27: Cubs

Sarabi was well aware that Mufasa couldn't run, at least not yet. However, there was no way that she could just wait for him. She had to get back and see Maraan, especially if she really wanted her there.

I hope we're not too late!

Sarabi leaped up to Pride Rock in record time while Marfia helped Mufasa the rest of the way up. Sarabi pushed herself into the den with her ears pinned against her head. The rest of the pride was waiting outside anxiously and murmuring to themselves.

She caught sight of Maraan in the corner. She was wriggling in agony while Abaku and Maraan's sister, Jayris, tried to calm her down. "Maraan, you have to sit still. The cubs are getting ready to come. You just have to be ready," whispered Jayris so that her sister could see her lips moving.

Sarabi pushed herself forward. She came to Maraan's head and lapped at her between the ears comfortingly. "It's alright, Maraan. It's okay. You can do this. You know that you can, right?"

Maraan nodded as she whimpered wordlessly. Sarabi watched as Abaku rested a paw on her underbelly. "The cubs are coming," he announced as he nosed Jayris aside. "When I give you a cub, you need to lap at it's fur the opposite way to warm it up alright?"

Jayris drew away and twitched an ear in distain. She continued to look at her sister with worry gleaming in her eyes. Sarabi drew back as well. She looked on uselessly with her paws almost rooted to the spot and eyes flickering. She sucked in a few heavy breaths to stop herself from screaming.

"Sarabi, stay with Maraan and talk her through this. It's a bit of a scary thin for a new mother," Abaku explained as Maraan's back slightly arched in agony.

Before Sarabi could argue anything, Abaku had given her a cub. She just stared at it for a moment before her instincts kicked in. She started to lap at the cub's fur to warm it. The cub started to wail even louder and Sarabi instantly plastered her ears against her head as she winced.

"Keep going, Sarabi," called Abaku as Maraan sucked in another heard breath with her eyes round like full moons.

Sarabi shook her head to clear it as she bowed her head. She continued to lap at the young cub and clamped her paws around the cub protectively. She felt the young cub push against her, despite being so small. In fact, the cub was beyond strong for a cub. Excitement and compassion showed in his gaze.

Will my cubs be this strong one day?

Abaku picked up another cub and handed it over to Jayris. Jayris did the same as Sarabi and groomed the young kit. "Hush, little one. You're safe. You're safe."

Maraan lifted her head, but Abaku stepped in her line of vision. "They're alright, Maraan. You just need to relax. That was the last one. Two beautiful lionesses, my dear."

"What do you want to name them," asked Sarabi excitedly as she lifted her head from the young cub.

Abaku motioned to Jayris and Sarabi with a flick of his tail. "Bring them close so that they can smell their mother," he urged.

Sarabi picked up her cub as Jayris did the same. They carried them over to Maraan and set them down at her underbelly. Maraan watched them nuzzle and search for milk. She nosed each of her daughters in turn as love showed in her eyes.

Just then, a gruff panting noise sounded behind them. Sarabi spun around and prowled over to his side. She pressed against him and forced him forward. "You have to see this," breathed Sarabi eagerly. "It's the most previous thing ever!"

Mufasa staggered forward as he made his way over to where his mate was leading him. He sat down beside Jayris and looked at the two cubs sucking at their mother's underbelly. His eyes seemed to low. "They're perfect," he murmured softly.

"What do you want to name them," questioned Abaku gently.

Maraan lifted a paw and started to draw in the dirt below her. Jayris tilted her head as she tried to read it. "Byrose?"

Maraan nodded vigorously before she drew something else in the dirt. "Mincka. I think that those are perfect names," exclaimed Sarabi before she could stop herself.

    Abaku leaned forward and touched his nose to her ear. "Get some rest." He lifted his head to the other three. "Let's give Maraan some alone time with Byrose and Mincka."

    Sarabi reluctantly drew backwards when Mufasa pressed his large head against her shoulder. She dragged her paws forward as she closed her eyes ever so slightly. "This was an exciting day," Mufasa pointed out.

    "I certainly didn't picture my day going like this when I woke up," Sarabi pointed out drearily.

    Mufasa purred in amusement before he glanced at the other lionesses and lions around. "You know, we should really speak to the pride about us," he pointed out softly.

    Sarabi swallowed thickly. I'm not sure if I'm ready for everyone to know. I guess it's a little hard to hide when you're mates with the prince. You're future queen now, she told herself with a twitch of her ears. "I suppose."

    "If you want, we can wait," Mufasa offered, sensing the fear in her voice. She nosed her gently when she didn't answer. "I don't want to make this worse for you in anyway."

    Sarabi sighed heavily as she lifted her head as her eyes shone proudly. "I'm not ashamed of this. Everyone deserves to know if you ask me." She gave another nod."

    Mufasa purred eagerly. She padded forward and let out a yowl when he emerged from Pride Rock's den. Heads lifted and groans sounded as they reluctantly rose to their paws and turned their attention to Mufasa. Mufasa settled his nerves quickly while Ahadi and Uru looked up to their son in surprise.

    "I have an announcement," Mufasa yowled.

    "Spit it out then," complained Marfia as she slumped beside Pikra. "We were napping just fine, little one."

    Mufasa exchanged one more glance at Sarabi. Sarabi nodded once more as Mufasa continued. "Sarabi and I are now mates. Sarabi will be the next queen of the Pride Lands!"