Chapter 34: Crashing

"Mufasa!"

    Mufasa froze as Sarabi darted forward. She thrust her head against Mufasa's chest and purred loudly in relief. She drew back with tears showing in her eyes.

    Mufasa blinked her eyes in surprise. "What's wrong? I'm alright."

    "I know," answered Sarabi as she nuzzled Mufasa under his ear. "I was still worried about you. Zazu told us about Boma and his herd. When you didn't come back with Taka, I was already thinking the worst."

    Understanding flashed through Mufasa as he looked to his mate. He pressed his forehead to hers. "I will never, ever leave you. I promise you that, Sarabi."

    Sarabi nodded. She let out a heavy breath as she lifted a paw to Mufasa's shoulder. "Do you want to see your brother? Abaku is with him too and I think that he should take a look at you. You look awful."

    "Way to help my self-esteem, Sarabi," Mufasa told her dryly.

    Sarabi twitched her ears in concern. "I'm sorry! I didn't mean anything like that," she reassured as she wove against her mate. "I just meant that you look tired and your nose is still bleeding."

    Mufasa relaxed his shoulders. "I know. I just really want to know why this happened," he growled as he followed Sarabi into the dean.

    "Are you okay," shouted Byrose as she darted forward. She leaped at Mufasa's paws before turning to his mane. "Is it time to play?"

    Sarabi stretched out a paw and nudged her back. "How about you play with your sister for a bit? Mufasa needs to see Abaku."

    "Fine," complained Byrose as she stormed off, back toward her mother and sister.

    Sarabi's purred in amusement before she noticed that Mufasa wasn't beside her anymore. She strode over to Abaku's side where Taka was being cared for already by Abaku. Abaku had poultices and different herbs pressed against Taka's face. It obscured half his face. Mufasa narrowed his eyes as he tried to understand what could possibly be wrong with Taka.

    "He took quite a beating," confessed Abaku, as if reading Mufasa's thoughts. "But, he should be fine once he wakes up. Now, I don't know about his eyesight. He had a pretty impressive cut there. Hopefully it went over his gaze, but I won't know the seriousness until he wakes up and tells us himself."

    Mufasa nodded as he sat down. Abaku instantly walked over to Mufasa and started to turn his muzzle ever so slightly. "I see. I think that it's just a minor injury. Do you want some thyme for shock or something for sleep," offered Abaku.

    "I'm okay," Mufasa answered stubbornly. He looked down to his brother and felt bitterness rise up in him. He unsheathed his claws as he lowered into a partial crouch. He let out a low growl with fury sparking deep within his somber gaze.   

    "Mufasa," whispered Sarabi as she crept closer to her mate. She placed her paw gingerly in front of Mufasa's line of sight. Mufasa blinked his eyes hazily and glanced up at Sarabi. He saw the momentary fear flash in her gaze before it returned to normal. "Are you okay?"

    Mufasa nodded vigorously. He forced his fur to lay flat as he sighed heavily. "Yeah, sorry. My mind just wandered a little is all."

    Sarabi looked unconvinced, but didn't say anything. "Maybe you just need something to relax you," she suggested as Abaku came back with a pile of herbs.

    "Whatever you do, don't make it to taxing," he warned as he shook out his fur uncomfortably. "I want to make sure that that nosebleed isn't going to happen again, alright?"

    "I think that playing with two cubs is as much resting as we can get," Sarabi answered as she padded forward with Mufasa dragging after her.

    Sarabi led them to Maraan's nest. She was sound asleep, tucked almost in a ball with her paws tucked under her chest. Byrose played with her tail beside her while Mincka watched her sister playfully, as if wondering the best angle to attack.

    "Hey," Sarabi purred as she padded over to them. She leaned forward and nose Byrose's cheek. "Want to play a game on Pride Rock?"

    Byrose was on her paws in a moment. She let out a squeal of enthusiasm as Mincka followed right behind. Sarabi purred as she watched Byrose weave between Mufasa's front paws. The usual stoic lion let out a few ticklish purrs before he shook his head to clear it.

    Sarabi strode past him as Mincka nudged her front forelegs. She lifted her head to whisper in his ear as she passed. "Softie."

    Mufasa rolled his eyes and followed while Byrose tried to catch his tail. She charged after them as they headed onto Pride Rock. Byrose tackled Mincka with Mufasa and Sarabi watching. They settled beside Marfia, who was grooming her underbelly with long strokes of her tongue.

    "Imagining your cubs running around some day," inquired Marfia between licks.

    Sarabi blushed as she looked at her paws and sighed heavily. "I'd like to, but I'm not sure if-"

    "If that? Having cubs is for you? Take it from a lioness who waited too long. You shouldn't wait or you're going to watch your chances go by," Marfia argued before she glanced over to Mufasa. "You hear that? If you want cubs, you had best not wait."

    Mufasa was too tired to feel embarrassed by Marfia's jabs. He rested his head back on his paws and nodded. "Yes, Marfia."

    Marfia rose to her paws and flicked it toward Sarabi. "Don't wait," she murmured under her breath as she headed over to Pikra.

    Sarabi pressed against Mufasa and kept her gaze on the two cubs, still wrestling, in front of her. "Do you really want to have cubs one day, because I don't want to force you into something that you don't want to do."

    "I do! I do. I'm just nervous that I'm not going to be a good father," Mufasa confessed.

    "You'll be great! There's not a doubt in my mind about that," Sarabi reassured as she touched her nose to his jaw. "As long as you love and protect them, that's all that they need."

    Mufasa blinked his eyes a few times. I just don't want any of my cubs to turn out like Taka.