Chapter 5: Time

Mufasa jumped when he felt something press against his shoulder after a moment of sleep. He nearly yelped before he noticed who was standing in front of him. "Hush."

"D-Dad," stammered Mufasa.

Ahadi's eyes gleamed in the light as he leaned forward. "Yes, it's me. Follow me and watch where you step," Ahadi whispered as he crept forward.

Mufasa rose to shaky paws as his eyes struggled to focus on the lions and lionesses around him. He took a step forward before he felt something growl under him. He jumped a bit before he noticed that he had just stepped on Dovro. "Sorry, Dovro," he hissed back.

He then scampered forward with his paws barely touching the ground as he tried to copy his father's pawsteps. He managed to scramble out of the den. Darkness engulfed him before he scrambled forward and slammed into his father's haunches. He fell harshly, shaking his head to clear it.

Ahadi turned around and helped Mufasa to his paws. "Keep close to me and be quiet," he chided.

"Where are we going," questioned Mufasa.

Ahadi kinked his tail over his back before he padded forward slowly. Mufasa padded forward with his head held high. I can't believe that Dad wanted me to come! He must really think that I'm going to be a good king one day.

Mufasa headed down the rockside in the dark. He felt his paws slightly scramble as pebbles showered down. Mufasa sucked in a heavy breath as he felt his father slipping down. "Dad!"

Ahadi spun around. He sunk his teeth into Mufasa's scruff before he could stumble off the side of the rocks. He swung him around while Mufasa pulled his paws against his chest. His father set him down the base before he gave him a small nudge with his muzzle.

Mufasa scrambled forward while Ahadi padded behind him. His father's muscles rippled as he walked while Mufasa tried to repeat it. They strode forward, side by side, while Ahadi steered his son toward a small, grassy area. The only sound that could be heard was the chirping of birds or the chirping of crickets.

"Where are we," asked Mufasa. He lowered down a bit and felt the soft grass tickle his paws enough to make him laugh.

Ahadi chuckled. "This was the exact same spot that your grandfather took me to explain the Circle of Life," he explained. He slumped down on the grass with Mufasa doing the same. "You wanted to know about the great kings of the past?"

Mufasa nodded eagerly. He reared on his hind legs and rested his paws on his father's shoulder. "Yes! I want to know where I can see you if anything happens to you!"

"Look to the stars, Mufasa. Each of those is a king that has died before you. There are there to watch over you and guide you, when you feel lost," explained Ahadi with his head tilted upward.

Mufasa did the same. His gaze traveled over to the sky. He saw the stars sparkling above him. They glittered and shone, reflected in Mufasa's eyes. Wonder seemed to surge through him as he spun around to look at his father once more.

"Is your father up there? Any mother's father?" Thoughts clouded Mufasa's mind as he rambled onward.

A purr rolled in Ahadi's through. He touched his nose to Mufasa's ear. "Every great lion is up there. They will watch over you when I can't."

Mufasa let out a growl as he leaped for his father. Ahadi laughed as he allowed his son to churn his hind legs against his chest. Mufasa managed to partially pin Ahadi before he rolled over onto his son. He thrust his head against Mufasa's flank and held him down. Mufasa let out a small squeak of breath before Ahadi sat up and allowed his son some relief. Mufasa rose to his paws and shook out his fur.
"You're going to have to work a little bit harder if you think of attacking me," chided Ahadi with a slight bare of his teeth painfully.

Mufasa leaped a bit against Ahadi's neck. Ahadi lifted Mufasa before he flicked his head and Mufasa fell against the ground. He landed on his underbelly with his eyes transfixed on the sky once more. Ahadi glanced up at where his son was looking. His gaze finally landed on the brightest star in the sky. His eyes gleamed as he pushed his head against Mufasa's shoulder to lift him. Mufasa continued to look at the brightest star.

    "You like that one, huh," inquired Ahadi with keen interest in his eyes.

    Mufasa started to walk forward before he was forced to sit down thanks to dizziness. He shook his head to clear it with his ears pricked upwards. "It's incredible! Why is it so bright?"

    "That star is for the noblest and bravest king," explained Ahadi. "No one knows who he is, until he arrives up there. It's a mystery."

    "Mystery." Mufasa shook his head to clear it. "Do you think that that can be me one day?"

    "I don't see why not," answered Ahadi before his jaws stretched wide in a yawn. "But, I think that that's enough adventure for one night. I have a hunting party early tomorrow."

    Ahadi lifted a paw and scooted Mufasa gingerly. Mufasa leaped around to face him, suddenly wide awake. "Can I come?"

    "Come," echoed Ahadi in surprise with his head slightly tilted. "You're must too young to take on a full grown zebra or antelope. Chasing prairie dogs is all well and good, but we need something else to fill our bellies."

    Disheartened, Mufasa hung is head. "Oh, yeah. I guess that you're right."

    Ahadi softened. He lowered his head and nuzzled his son's cheek while Mufasa leaned into him. "One day you will be the best hunter in all of the Pride Lands. It's just not your time yet. There's a time for everything. You just have to be patient until then."