Chapter 32: Run

Mufasa turned and pelted forward. Rafiki took off after them. Mufasa felt the blood roar in his ears as he surged forward. He curled his claws into the ground as he continued to pelt forward.

    He swung his head around a bit when he noticed Rafiki wasn't there. He frowned when he saw the baboon standing, panting heavily. Mufasa thrust his paws against the ground and groaned as he reluctantly spun around to help him. He made his way over to Rafiki.

    "Get on my back," roared Mufasa urgently.

    Rafiki grasped at Mufasa's shoulders while Mufasa surged forward with Rafiki struggling to hold on. Rafiki let out a cry as Mufasa continued forward. His muscles tensed while his ears shoved forward as he thought about where he could possibly run and for how long. He sucked in a heavy breath before he turned sharply and headed forward.

    "Where are we going," shouted Rafiki as he stretched a hand forward, almost in Mufasa's line of sight.

    Mufasa bucked his shoulders upward so that Rafiki fell backwards. "Lean back! I can't see," Mufasa snarled as he heard Boma bellow from behind him.

    "Do you at least know where you're going. Are you acting crazy for a reason," Rafiki requested as he wrapped his arms around Mufasa'a neck.

    Mufasa gagged. He forced his eyes to stop watering as he lashed his tail. "I'm heading to the ravine."

    "The what?!" Mufasa felt Rafiki's grip tighten around his neck. His vision blurred for a moment before Rafiki finally released him and Mufasa gave a firm shake of his fur while his eyes flickered in surprise.

    "Just hold on," Mufasa answered as he tensed his shoulders and continued forward. His paws burned in agony as he felt them burn. It traveled up his muscles all the way to his soul. He struggled to continue, but something forced him to continue.

    Sarabi.

    He pictured his mate standing in front of him. He saw her gleaming eyes and beautiful fur that just made his heart patter in his chest. Her soft voice and delicate gaze. The way that she played with Byrose and Mincka. The way that she helped Maraan and always spent time with her. All of that attributed to the reason that he had fallen in love with Sarabi.

    "Mufasa!"

    Mufasa frantically realized how close they were to the ravine. It wasn't a sheer drop and there was plenty of mud to soften one's fall. Mufasa looked down to it before he charged for it. He immediately leaped while Rafiki let out a screech of terror. Mufasa landed heavily on his paws and rolled forward. Rafiki fell from his back while Mufasa rolled almost against a nearby tree.

    Mufasa hissed in pain as he rose to his paws. He shook out each paw in turn before he headed over to Rafiki. He was about to his side when he heard a hollow splash. Mufasa lowered his head to Rafiki and nosed him awake. Rafiki sighed heavily and ran his fingers through Mufasa's fur.

    "Are you alright," whispered Mufasa gently.

    Rafiki managed a small nod. "I am, thanks to you. Are you alright? Your nose is bleeding," he confessed as he lifted a finger to rub under it.

    Mufasa drew back and lifted a paw to his muzzle. He touched his nose and felt a faint feeling attributed to it. He shook his head as more blood flowed down his face. "I'm alright," rasped Mufasa while nervousness still caused his body to almost shake. "I'm okay."

    Rafiki nodded before the two of them looked down on Boma. Boma let out a bellow as he found himself at the base of the ravine, underbelly deep in thick mud. He lifted a hoof before he stamped it back down. "You'll pay for this!"

    "Calm down," chided Mufasa in agitation. "You can just walk around and make your way back up. It's not that much of a hike out of the ravine if you know where to go," he reminded harshly.

    Boma tilted his gaze up to Mufasa. "You'll both pay."

    "Both," echoed Rafiki as he lifted a hand and scratched the top of his head. "What could he possibly mean by that?"

    Mufasa worked his muddy claws against the ground before realization showed on his face.

    "Taka!"