Bad news

REMEMBER: VOTE FIRST!

November, Wednesday

Vanessa

"Joseline Brown?" I call out in the waiting-room that is almost way too full of sick individuals. But I love my job. I love being a doctor. I imagine the way today will go. Some patients will receive great news and some won't.

My goal is to make sure that everyone leaves with at least an encouraging smile on their face. Don't dare tell me it's not possible, because, nothing is impossible.

"Joseline Brown?" I call again, my eyes searching over the crowd. As if startled awake from a slumber, the short, African-American woman that I've been seeing for the past months, rises to stand.

I instantly smile upon seeing her. She doesn't look too good. Good as in, not too healthy.

"Good morning Dr.Coleman" She greets in her usual soft tone.

I hold the door open for her, my back pressed against it to keep it from closing. "Good morning Joseline. Nice to see you again" I close the door behind us after she entered.

"Oh Doc, you know I ain't got no choice" She sighs, speeding down the hallway to her destination. Our usual check up room.

"I sure wish you did" I place a hand on her shoulder and give it an encouraging pat.

As soon as she settles in her usual position, I do the same by standing before her. She looks up at me and smiles. "You have a new glow today Doc. That man of yours took care of you this mornin', didn't he?"

I laugh. "So naughty Mrs. Brown"

"How you think you got here child? Your mama had to be naughty in some way" she reaches for my hand, with my wedding ring, and squeeze. "So tell me child, what's got you glowing this mornin?" She smiles.

Instinctively I feel the instant need to rub my still very flat stomach. But I resist, with great hesitation that she'd figure it out in an instant. "Well Mrs. Brown, my husband sure does have something to do with it" I say with a playful wink.

My husband has a big something to do with it.

"Oh sweetheart" Joseline drops my hand and reaches for my stomach. I resist the urge to move. "That fine man of yours put a baby in you, didn't he?"

"Um" I swallow, in pure shock. I can't be that obvious, right?

"Congratulations my child! No wonder why you glowing. It must've have been the best news" She slightly rubs my stomach before removing her hand.

"It was" a bile of emotions form in my throat. "It sure was Mrs. Brown" I place my hand over my stomach and rub.

I'm going to be a mommy. After wanting this for so long, I'm finally going to be a mommy.

"Ain't God just amazing?" She continues to smile at me, and I nod, completely agreeing with her statement. "He does everything for a reason. And he's always on time"

"Amen" I chuckle. Mrs. Brown just sits there watching me rub the spot where my child is growing. I don't think anything can ruin this moment, until I remember exactly why Joseline's here.

"Oh God Mrs. Brown, I'm sorry" I break out of my trance and move towards the sink to put a pair of gloves on.

"Child, hearing your great news just made my day a lot better. I feel more brave to hear my news now" she sighs and lay back on the bed.

"How're you feeling today Mrs. Brown?"

"Really tired" she sighs again

****** ******