My Friend

REMEMBER: VOTE FIRST!

November, Wednesday

[Explicit]

Jade

What am I doing here? What am I doing here? What am I doing here?

I don't know how many times I asked myself that question since the past ten minutes that I've been standing behind that door. That same door that I've stood in front of so many times before in the past four years. That same door that used to bring a big smile up to my face every time I would stand in front of it.

Rejection is a strong emotion that drives you to seek out comfort. It makes you want to act like someone you're not. It makes you want to go back to your ex.

Slowly I lift up my fist and lightly knock on the door. I fully expect someone to open the door because there are three vehicles currently parked on the grass in front of the house. One of those cars I've known for four and a half years.

After a few more minutes of knocking, the door vigorously swings open to reveal a very short old lady with glasses. "Hey Mrs. Williams" I greet her with a big smile before wrapping my arms around her in a hug.

"Little girl where have you been? It's been so long since I done seen you!" She exclaims in a high-pitched tone after our hug concluded.

"I know Mrs. Williams! I know! I just been really busy" I partly lie to her with a small smile on my lips.  I have been busy with school, and work. But that's not the reason why she hasn't been seeing me around.

"That ain't never stopped you before. You and Kevin fighting or something?"

"Um" I let out a very uncomfortable laugh. Mrs. Williams is certainly known for being traumatically blunt. "Something like that" I reach up to tug at one of my braids. Braids that I promised myself that I would be taking out soon.

"He ain't cheat on you now, did he? Cause I raise his behind better than that, so I'll go up there and smack some sense into him" She says in the most serious tone you can imagine. If it wasn't for the guilt that suddenly biles in my throat, I would be laughing.

Nevertheless, I give her another forced smile "No Mrs. Williams, he didn't cheat" But I basically did because I was thinking of Jeremiah while I was with him. "You raised him perfectly"

Just saying the words makes me sad because truthfully, Kevin may not have been all the way perfect, but he was as close to perfect as anyone could get. He treated me like a queen. He gave me hope. Until he no longer couldn't. And that was after his car accident last year.

I gave up on him.

"Come on in baby. You want some food?" Mrs. Williams pushes the door open and allow me to walk in. The familiar scent of cinnamon instantly awakens my senses and I slowly inhale. Oh how I missed the coziness of this home.

Everyone has a getaway. Being in this house, laying in Kevin's arms, eating his grandmother's baked goods was my getaway. This place was my paradise. This place was where all my worries and worldly problems would disappear.

I messed up.

"No thank you Mrs. Williams. I'm full" I politely turn to face her after leisurely taking my time to take in everything in the house. Mrs. Williams may be sixty something years old, but her taste in decor is everything but ancient and old fashioned.

"You sure baby? Cause I made your favorite, and you know you ain't got to be embarrassed to eat here. This your home too"

This your home too
This your home too
This your home too