*Chapter 1 - fleeting mate*

* Lucas' P.O.V *

I was out with a few of my pack members to explore our pack lines, when I got wind of fresh sea salt and grape seed, I stopped abruptly, which got my beta Sebastian to look questioning at me, and through our link asked.

*Is everything okay, you've got something?*

He asked, and I could see by his whole body language that he was worry if someone unexpectedly would show up. I shook my head.

*Don’t worry, it's not a rough ... My mate is nearby.*

I replied back through our link, before I quickly began to run toward the scent, this time I had to find her, I had her scent for 9 months but had still not been able to find her. But this time it was the scent clearly, and I was determined, this time I wouldn’t rest until I had found her. Quickly, I ran through the woods, and without hesitation, I stepped into the Dust packs territory, usually when a wolf entered into another packs territory, it was seen as a threat, but thankfully I was friends with the Dust packs future Alpha, and we therefore had a very open border, so I was not nervous for violating the border. I ran as fast as my four legs allowed it, yes I said four legs, if you haven’t figured it out yet, with all my excitement about my mate, I am a werewolf, and right now I'm in my wolf form. I came to a place in the forest, where there flowed a stream right through and I stopped. There, ten feet in front of me was the most amazing wolf, she was caramel brown, except the tail, which had a blue-black color. I could not help but stare, I had found her, I had actually found her. I saw how she stiffened and raised her head to sniff the scents in the air, slowly she turned her head and looked in my direction, and her eyes widen when she saw me, her absolutely stunning purple eyes, yes I said purple eyes, the greatest and brightest eyes I had ever seen on a wolf. She stood rigid for a moment, but then she turned and suddenly ran in the opposite direction of where I stood. I stared confused after her for a moment, now, my suspicions were confirmed, my mate did actually hid from me, I cried a howl in pain before I follow her, I wouldn’t let her get away from me this time, I had to find out who my mate was and why she wouldn’t be with me. I was Alpha and therefore I was faster than a normal werewolf, but my mate was also faster than average, and although she tried to run from me, I couldn’t help but to be proud that my mate was so fast, that she could actually catch up with me. but I could not allow that she got away from me, she was a small wolf, and I knew that it meant that she could get through more places than I in my twice the size wolf could, and I could not let her get away from me again, so I set off for a sprint, then set of for a jump and ended up catching her under me. I stared down at her, and discovered now that she beside the right eye had another blue-black dot, almost like a beauty spot. my mate was a real beauty, I couldn’t wait to see what she looked like as a person, but no matter how she looked, I knew that I would always love her. She was trying to escape from my grip, I made a sound that clearly told her that she should stop. I had several times tried to communicate with her through the link I had with the Dust pack but she didn’t seem like she received them, so I changed while I was still on top of her and commanded.

"Shift."

She stopped wiggle and I saw how her eyes slid down over my naked body. I saw how the flushing spread to her cheeks, and she quickly took in the surroundings instead, apparently she hadn’t expected to look at down my body. I couldn’t help to smiled wryly, I was delighted that my mate was embarrassed to see my equipment, it showed that she was not one of those girls who jumped from one guy to another, but of course that didn’t mean that she didn’t had a boyfriend or had had one, just the thought of this make a growl break from my throat, this woman was mine, and I didn’t like the thought of someone else touching her. My anger took over and I lowered my head against my mate’s neck with my K9 visible. I noticed how my mate froze, but I couldn’t stopped what I was doing, even Lurius, my wolf, agreed that we should claim her now, we had been searching for her since we were 16 and had follow her scent the last 9 months, and if we Claimed her now, we would always be able to find her again. But I was interrupted by my mate, who with her back legs kicked me in the crotch, I let out a howl of pain, and she took advantage of this situation, and quickly got up and fled from me. Once again I cried out a yelp of pain, my mate ran from us. But I couldn’t let her disappear, quickly I switched to Lurius and followed her. But she had already proven she was quick, and she was already gone, but I knew I was right behind her, so I followed her scent. I stopped when I got to the Dust Pack, packhouse. I lifted my nose in the air, and sure enough, it was obvious that my little mate, a moment ago had gone inside, so she was probably a member of the Dust Pack. Quickly I changed and found a pair of shorts in a small box by the door. Quickly, I ran up the stairs and tore the front door up, but bumped into someone who was on the way out. I looked down, and saw Clarina, my best friend Matthews mate, normally I would stop and talk with her, but right now, I was only interested in finding my mate, so I pushed her and sharpened.

"Move"

I heard a growl and a few moments after I was gripped around my neck and was pressed against the wall by Matthew, which angrily sharpened into my head.

"What do you think you’re doing, do NOT touch MY mate like that."

I could see by his black eyes that it was his wolf who had control, and that's what made me see reason, it didn’t help I got him as my enemy when I now knew that my mate was part of his pack, I needed his help. I looked regretfully at Clarina.

"I'm sorry Clarina, but I just met my mate, and she ran this way, and I'm sure she's in here, I can smell it and I will not lose her again. It really wasn’t my intention to be harsh to you, please forgive me."

I asked, and she nodded, but I also noticed that she didn’t seem surprised when I mention my mate. I narrowed my eyes and stared at her.

"What do you know about my mate?"

I asked urgently. Matthew loosened his grip on me and turned too looked at his mate, and when she didn’t answer me, he asked.

"Clarina?"

She looked at him before she averted ours eyes, and murmured.

"What do I supposed to know?"

But I knew that it wasn’t true, she knew something. Quickly, I went and grabbed her by the arms and looked imploringly down on her.

"Clarina, no matter what you know, please tell me, I've been looking for her since I was 16 and her scent has driven me crazy for the past 9 months."

Clarina looked down at the floor. And now Matthew came forward and pulled her into his arms.

"Kitten, if you know something, or just have an idea, please let us know. I can tell you that the last 9 months, Lucas has been crazy not being able to find her ... Imagine if it was the two of us if we only knew the other existed but couldn’t find the other."

He say. Clarina looked from him to me and back to Matthew again.

"I do not understand why you think I know something. And frankly if Lucas had his mates scent, she would probably also know that he was her mate, so why hasn’t she gone to him?"

I felt all my energy leave me, she was right.

"She's right, my mate knows who I am, I caught her in wolf form today, but she fled when I shifted. That’s a clear message that she isn’t interested in me as her mate. Maybe she already found one that she is happy with, and can’t cope with having to deal with a mate as it would hurt her boyfriend that she had to be in love with."

I sadly said, before I let myself slide down on the floor and put my head in my hands. I felt Clarinas hand on my shoulder.

"Not here Lucas, go to Matthews office, if someone sees you like this, the gossip starts, and none of us is interested in that."

I nodded powerless, and stood up, I knew she was right, if someone saw an Alpha in this situation it would spread, and it would be questioned if I could suit the position. We Alphas had to appear strong and confident in our behavior, to maintain order in our pack and our surroundings. Rumors that an alpha was powerless would immediately give Ideas about trying to take over the alpha position. We all three went into the office and Matthew closed and locked the door behind us. I let myself fall down on the couch and just sat and stared into space, my mate wouldn’t be with me, she had fled. Clarina sat down beside me and put her hand over my.

"Lucas, do not let this destroy you, you don’t know what’s going on, and there can be many reasons why your mate fled from you. But there is nothing good about you breaking down, neither you nor your pack deserved that."

I looked at her, before I tried to smile, but didn’t have much success. Then I looked at Matthew.

"How would you have reacted if Clarina wouldn’t have had anything to do with you? Would you just let it go?"

I asked, and Matthew quickly shook his head, and pulled Clarina in his arms.

"No, I would never let my little Kitten get away from me, if I were to kidnap her to get her for myself, I would had done it."

He laughed before he kissed Clarina gently. I felt jealousy, I also wanted a mate that I could be completely myself with. Clarina pulled out of Matthews’s arms before she looked at me with a sad little smile.

"I'll leave you two alone so you can talk together, I'm going up to see if Emily is home."

She said, before she quickly left the office. I stared after her, I still had the feeling that she knew more than she told, but it was stupid, the last 4 months I had learned to know Clarina, and I knew that she was a honesty and friendly person, so if she knew anything, she would tell me, to prevent me feel like this.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Picture of Lucas at the side 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*